Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

7/18/08

Bittman's Coconut Butternut Squash

I have made an executive decision to terminate my Bittman in My Kitchen blog and publish all the recipes I either invent or take from cookbooks right here.

and now back to cooking....

I feel like I haven't cooked in quite a while and I really miss it. On Monday Anna and I went shopping and bought random produce hoping that we'll be able to make some meal plans from our collection of fruits and vegetables. I then remembered that I have not made anything from Mark Bittman's cookbook in at least a month, and decided to correct that travesty: thus, Coconut Butternut Squash recipe! Thanks Anna for you help :)

Ingredients:
butternut squash, peeled and cubed into 1/2 to 1 inch size
neutral oil
garlic, minced
ginger, minced
curry powder
coconut milk
salt & pepper
cilantro to garnish

Directions:
1) heat oil in a pan, add ginger and garlic and cook until they turn color and the aroma comes out

2) add curry powder, cook a few minutes

3) add butternut squash, coconut milk, and season with salt and pepper

4) bring to a boil, cover, turn the heat down and cook covered for about 15 minutes, stirring a few times



5) after 15 minutes, take the cover off, turn the heat up and cook till the tenderness you prefer

6) serve with cilantro



Thoughts:This was a very simple recipe to follow. In fact, this was a "complicated" version of a basic butternut squash recipe (garlic, olive oil, water instead of coconut milk, no curry, and parsley instead of cilantro). Bittman said to cook the squash until all the liquid was evaporated, but Anna and I liked the curry broth that was formed and left if. Anna added a squeeze of fresh lime juice to brighten up the flavors. And I think the recipe could have used some heat: chilies or red pepper flakes.

This would be great to make with sweet potatoes or even carrots. Give this a twirl :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I liked this one! Lime juice really added a kick. I would probably add some onions and peas, or maybe some other vegetable along with the squash. Went really well with brown rice. Oh and it would've been delic to sprinkle with some cashew nuts. i think I'm having this for a late breakfast.

La Familia Verde said...

Is this from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone? I've been thinking of buying it.

Anonymous said...

Yum, and summer squash is in season now! Great idea.

Olga said...

Gillsnthrills,
Yep, that's the book! I've made 13 things out of it (check out www.bittmaninmykitchen.blogspot.com where I used to post his recipes) and quite enjoyed most of them!

Anonymous said...

Sounds incredibly easy - and flavorful! I've got this flagged to try soon!