Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

8/15/08

Fake Out Risotto

When I saw Margot's Orzo with Grilled Tomatoes, Dill and Cream Cheese recipe, I wondered why I have never considered adding cream cheese to my orzo. Thanks Margot for the inspiration.

Today I took a 3 hour nap after work and woke up hungry, a bit disoriented and wanting something quick and yet comforting. I decided to make a Fake Out Risotto. I've eaten risotto several times out in restaurants, and even made it once at home. I like the creaminess of the dish, but do not like how long it takes. Tonight I decided to use orzo instead of aborio rice and cream cheese to make the dish creamy and rich.

Ingredients and Directions:

1) Saute 2 cups of sliced mushrooms in a bit of oil with sliced garlic. Make sure to season with salt and set aside. [Feel free to add some white wine and/or butter]

2) Cook a few hand-fulls of orzo in salted water, adding a cup of frozen peas during the last 5 minutes.

3) Drain orzo and peas and immediately add a few tablespoons of cream cheese and some cilantro infused oil. Mix everything together, add sauteed mushrooms with garlic, season with salt & pepper, top with fresh dill and serve immediately!

Thoughts: this is a quick dish you can make on any weeknight that will give you the creaminess and the starchiness of risotto without taking too much of your time. Feel free to substitute mushrooms and peas with any other vegetable and t0 add chicken or shrimp.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have orzo and no idea what to do with it...hmmmm

Megan said...

Wow, what a great idea. I love risotto and have made it on several occassions, but you are right it is so time consuming, especially on a work night. Thanks for this tip. I never would have thought of using orzo or adding cream cheese, this looks absolutly delish!

Megan of Bit of Nutmeg

BlueToYou said...

ooh that looks really good. i never make orzo because i never know what to do with it!

Coffee and Vanilla said...

I'm glad you liked it :)
Happy New Year!
Margot