Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

9/23/08

Mussels with an Indian Twist

I had some mussels left-over from Sunday dinner, and decided to make them with an Indian twist. Alas, I had no fresh ginger or cilantro, and did not feel like going to the grocery store (not enough time between getting a haircut and going dancing), so I improvised.

Mussels with an Indian Twist

Ingredients

1 tablespoon neutral oil (such as canola or vegetable)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 small red onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 teaspoon garam masala
mussels
1/2 can coconut milk
1 tablespoon curry paste
1 tomato, chopped
a few arugula leaves, cut into a chiffonade

good bread for dipping into the "broth"

Directions

1. Heat the oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let them cook for about a minute until they turn brown and the aroma comes out; be careful not to burn them.

2. Add onion and garlic, cook for a few minutes. Add garam masala and continue cooking for a few minutes.

3. Combine coconut milk with curry paste and add to the pan. Add mussels. Lower the heat slightly, cover the pan, and cook the mussels until they open up.


4. Pour some of the broth into a bowl, top with mussels, fresh tomatoes and arugula, and serve with bread.

Thoughts: I really enjoyed this meal. The dish can be made in its entirity, minus the mussels for a great quick and flavorful soup. If you have the time, however, definitely get some fresh ginger and add it to the garlic/onion step.

4 comments:

BlueToYou said...

yum! where do you get the garam masala from?

Anonymous said...

Yum.. I like my mussels belgian style, with beer and thyme, but this sounds really great.

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting. I usually like my mussels very simple, but this looks delicious and I can't wait to try it.

Anonymous said...

Everything you make here looks and sounds soooo delicious. I'll have to try this.

Paz