Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

9/20/08

Sweet Potatoes with Blue Cheese, Pecans and Parsley

I was inspired to make this recipe by a post I saw on Tea and Wheaten Bread for Butternut Squash with Pecans and Blue Cheese. But of course I had to make a few changes.

Sweet Potatoes with Blue Cheese, Pecans and Parsley

Ingredients
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons olive oil, more to flavor
seasonings to taste: dry thyme, cayenne, garlic powder, salt & pepper
toppings to taste: blue cheese, toasted pecans, finely minced fresh parsley


Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 425 with an empty baking sheet inside.
2. Combine sweet potatoes, oil and spices.
3. Roast potatoes for about 25 minutes, or until done.
4. Combine sweet potatoes with blue cheese and toasted pecans. Drizzle with olive oil and top with parsley.

Thoughts: I really like how this dish turned out. I think sweet potatoes are a great substitute for butternut squash, but you can also use carrots! Blue cheese melts into the roasted potatoes, while the pecans add the needed crunch, and parsley provides some freshness.

7 comments:

Scott at Real Epicurean said...

Oh, wow. This is a totally unique salad / vegetable dish and honestly makes my mouth water!

Rhyleysgranny said...

I think I like your version and will give it a go. I am so glad you liked it. Thank you for the feed back
xxx

Susan C said...

I love anything roasted and the combination of textures and flavors.

I am intimidated, however, at peeling and chopping the sweet potatoes. I find the peels stubborn and the hard potato difficult to chop. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Hi Olga! Thanks for the mini business card :) Before I read the recipe and realized it was sweet potatoes, I thought it was the butternut squash we got from the farm. I took home more than I realized, so I'd love to hear any ideas (other than soup). Hmm, maybe I'll try this with squash.

Anonymous said...

This looks fantastic! I love combining sweet flavors with blue cheese. I'm wondering if just a hint of maple would work here--maybe toasting the pecans with just a bit of maple syrup? I want this for dinner!

Olga said...

Hi, everyone. Thanks for comments: love reading them!

Lisa, of course you can add some maple syrup: that's the beauty of cooking--you can experiment with flavors.

Jenn Sutherland said...

I've kept this recipe on file for several months, and finally got around to making it this evening for dinner, and it was delicious! Thank you! I added some chipotle puree, garlic and cumin to the sweets, and the spicy-sweet-punguent flavors went really well together.

And, I even blogged about it - thanks for the wonderful recipe!

http://thewholekitchen.blogspot.com/2009/04/spicy-roasted-sweet-potatoes-with-bleu.html