Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

10/15/08

Dinner for parents: Italian Sausage/Zucchini/Potatoes/Onion Bake

When I came home tonight after work, my parents were still sightseeing in DC. I decided to chill out and cook dinner. This dish is based on a recipe I learned from Jenny, a woman Anna and I used to babysit for in high school (well, we babysat her son).

Italian Sausage, Zucchini, Potatoes and Onion Bake

Ingredients
16 ounces Italian Sausage
3 big yellow potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (I used Cindy's mandoline)
3 green zucchini, thinly sliced
1 white onion, thinly sliced
1 can mushroom soup, mixed with the same amount of hot water
salt & pepper
paprika

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. In a skillet cook Italian sausage.
3. In a pie pan layer Italian sausage, potatoes, onions, zucchini, seasoning with salt and pepper as you go.

4. Top with another layer of potatoes, and pour mushroom soup and water mixture over the entire dish; sprinkle with paprika. (I had enough ingredients to make a round dish and a square dish. If you have a tall baking dish, you can make several layers of sausage and vegetables...it's up to you).

5. Bake the dish for about an hour or until the potatoes are cooked all the way through! Let the dish set for about 10 minutes before digging in.

Thoughts: The final result wasn't quite as I remember the dish tasting years ago. I think maybe it would have been better to use more mushroom soup and less water. You can also add cheese if you want. But my parents liked it, so I'm pretty happy!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh the memories. I would've definitely pre-cooked (sauteed) all the vegetables - you'd get a much better flavor out of them. Maybe some cheese in between the layers? And a touch of cream

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

This looks great - I would have to swap the onions for cheese as hubby is not an onion fan.. Love the suggestions that cia007girl made..

Pam said...

I love eating recipes from my childhood. This actually sounds similar to something my mother made. It looks really tasty to me.

Unknown said...

what a great meal... :)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I would have love this meal because I love anything with potatoes. Looks good.

Heather said...

ohhh that looks yummy! i love potatoes! the zucchini sounds delicious, too!

CJ said...

"...final result wasn't quite as I remember..."

Layering the soup mixture (substitute milk for water and use only 3/4 can of milk) and drizzling a tiny bit of olive oil on each layer would add flavor.

Cover with foil for the first 45 minutes. Then uncover and finish baking.

That might give you a more soft and sultry texture and the flavor meld you are looking for.