Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

10/11/08

Eggplant: Reworking my mom's recipe

This idea is based on something my mom made quite often when we lived in Russia. She would top eggplant slices with a mixture of mayo, cheese, garlic and parsley and broil them until the cheese was bubbly.

I had some ricotta and cheese leftover from my lasagna and decided to create a healthier version of my mom's dish.

I sliced an eggplant in 1/4 thick slices and microwaved them for about 6 minutes. I then combined ricotta with shredded 4-variety cheese, microplane-d garlic, hot sauce, minced parsley, and salt & pepper.

I broiled the eggplant for about 3 minutes, then topped it with the ricotta/cheese mixture and broiled for about 6 more minutes. The final result is below:

This was quite flavorful, but not as rich as if I would have used mayo. Also, ricotta doesn't really brown well, so the final result wasn't as colorful as I would have hoped. Serve this as an appetizer on a piece of toast, or have it for lunch.

3 comments:

BlueToYou said...

i don't normally like eggplant, but this is making me reconsider...mmmm bubbly cheese.....

Anonymous said...

Delicious!!

Mrs. M. said...

What a great idea! I bet this would be better if you sauteed or grilled the eggplant slices before topping them with cheese. I will try this.