Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

11/30/08

Coconut Shrimp Soup

Today for lunch I wanted something spicy and creamy. I had a can of coconut milk in the refrigerator and some shrimp in the freezer from testing Robyn Webb's Curried Shrimp Sandwiches.

Here is the Coconut Shrimp Soup I invented.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 white onion, diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
1 inch ginger, peeled and minced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
2 tablespoons curry paste (store-bought)
a few dashes of curry powder, cumin powder and red pepper flakes
salt & pepper
1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
1 can coconut milk
15 ounces water
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 cup frozen shrimp, defrosted (or use fresh shrimp)
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 cup thin glass or rice noodles, cooked



Directions
1. Heat the oil in the pan. Add onions and carrots and cook for a few minutes.
2. Add garlic and ginger and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
3. Add in the spices (don't forget salt!) and curry paste. Cook for a few minutes.
4. Add coconut milk, water, vinegar and peas; bring the mixture to a boil, add shrimp and cook for a few minutes until the shrimp is cooked through.
5. Add in lime juice.
6. Put some of the cooked noodles in a bowl, top with the shrimp soup and enjoy! If you have fresh cilantro, use it.




Confession time: Originally I added shrimp before adding in the coconut milk and water and cooked them for about 3 minutes. The shrimp turned out rather rubbery: that's why you should only add them in the last 2 minutes: see, aren't you glad I made the mistake so you don't have to?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it looks so tasty!

Pam said...

Two of my favorite things...coconut and shrimp. Fantastic recipe.

Thip said...

I made my coconut shrimp soup today too. :)

Gina said...

SO many delicious things on here..but this soup looks and sounds wonderful..all the flavours that I love. Thanks for visiting my blog btw :D

Dora said...

That's an interesting and innovative try!

Anonymous said...

That sounds delicious. . .yum!

Anonymous said...

This looks great - I had a really busy day so only managed a chicken sandwich!! Lucky you!

redmenace said...

Looks fantastic! I'm very impressed with all your blogs!

Family First said...

A perfert meal for cold rainy days over here.

Helene said...

I saw this on Tastespotting and bookmarked it! Looks delicious!

Penang Tua Pui said...

Wah,This looks like Malaysia curry soup, must be very delicious

gaga said...

Yum, that looks great!

avesta said...

Your site is great...love this soup recipe! Will visit often!

Anonymous said...

Your soup looks amazing. I have been on a soup binge as of late. I will have to add this to my "to cook" list.

Lori said...

Wow. lots of yummy things on your site! I must check it all out. THis soup really captured my attention! Looks so delicious!

Anonymous said...

This sounds tropical and warm for a cold winter day! Delicious. I'd like to share your recipe with our readers, please let me know if you're interested :).

Sophie, Key Ingredient Chief Blogger
sophie@keyingredient.com

Liza said...

Just made this - shrimp for myself & tofu for my daughter. I was going for lower fat, so I used just a spray of oil in a nonstick pan, and just half the can of coconut milk. I also added roasted red peppers I had left over.

It was soooo yummy! Thanks!