Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

11/5/08

Dinner at Central courtesy of Foodbuzz

In July of this year I joined an online community of food bloggers called Foodbuzz. Some of the perks of being a member of Foodbuzz are the little presents they send: I have received adorable business cards, an apron and a spatula.

Foodbuzz also has a Dine on Us program: they let their Featured Publishers get together once a year and pick up a bill up to $50 per person. Of course I had to take advantage of that!

Last night I met up with eight DC-area food bloggers at Central. I've heard of Central for a while now and was really looking forward to dining there. Our group of 9 have various food views and aesthetic preferences, but we all love food, and we all enjoyed the dinner!

And now to the food part of the evening: I started with a mojito. It wasn't amazing, but it definitely hit the spot.


The waiter brought a basket of bread to our table, but I did not try it, because I was looking forward to tasting Cheese puffs (gougères) that we decided to order and share.

The puffs were made in the same way as the eclairs I made a few months ago for the Daring Bakers, but were obviously cheese-flavored. Delicious! I had to stop myself from eating the entire basket. (Sorry in advance for the dark photos...the lighting just wasn't too good).

For the entree I ordered Lamb Shank With Creamy Corn Polenta. It was perfect: the meat was tender and moist; the polenta was creamy, and the accompanied sauce was smooth and rich. The only aspect of the plate I did not understand was a sprig of rosemary: I simply set it aside.

For dessert [because even though I was pretty full, how could I not have dessert?] I split Michel’s Chocolate Mousse with another blogger. It was divine: airy, chocolaty, with little rice puff "things" on the top and raspberry flavored sauce on the bottom. And the portion size? It was huge. Seriously, at least 4 people could have shared it (I am not complaining though!).

Overall, the dinner was fantastic. I enjoyed meeting new people, trying out a new restaurant and having to only pay $7! (I do have a $450 charge on my credit card, which I'm looking forward to being reimbursed for)

7 comments:

Taresa said...

yum...those pictures make me want to go back for more!

sj said...

sounds like a great time! I am so excited for you :)

Sorry I have been MIA... so busy! About to catch up on your blog right now :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is Susan Linnet Cox from Photo Styling Workshops. I came across your email from August and decided to finally take a look at your blog. We also have one now, Photo Styling Forum, at http://photostylingworkshops.blogspot.com/ I hope you'll check it out as well as the online classes at www.photostylingworkshops.com. Keep up the good work!

nooschi said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing your foodbuzz experience. Dinner looked good.

Heather said...

sounds like you had a great time! looks tasty!

Anonymous said...

What a great evening - glad you enjoyed it & thank you foodbuzz!

BlueToYou said...

so jealous....