Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

11/28/08

Pomegranate Cranberry Sauce

Yesterday was the 3rd or 4th Thanksgiving I've spent with Cindy and her family. Cindy and I have worked together and have been friends for the last 7 years, and I'm considered to be an older adopted cousin: no complains for me.

This Thanksgiving, Anna came with me, and we were in charge of making cranberry sauce. This was not to be your regular cranberry sauce because Cindy decided to have a pomegranate theme this year.

I'm not a fan of chewing the pomegranate seeds, so Anna came up with an idea of using pomegranate juice make the sauce.

Cranberry Sauce with Pomegranate Juice, Granny Smith Apple and Oranges
(scroll down for the recipe and directions)


Ingredients
1.5 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 cup pomegranate juice
24 ounces fresh cranberries
1 Granny Smith Apple, cored, and cubed
1-2 oranges, segmented and cut into small pieces

Directions
1) In a heavy bottomed large pot bring sugar, water and pomegranate juice to a boil.
2) Add cranberries, bring back to a boil, lower the heat and cook 10-20 minutes, adding the apples in the last 5 minutes.
3) Once the sauce is cooled, stir in the oranges and serve.

Note: after taking the photo, I decided to add a dollop of cool whip to the sauce: unbelievably good combination of textures, flavors and colors [I was too busy eating to take a photo].

4 comments:

sj said...

Mmm! I LOVE this idea! And I'm with you on the pom seeds... love the flavor, not into chewing seeds! This sounds delicious!

test it comm said...

I like the sound of adding pomegranates to cranberry sauce!

Cindy said...

As gorgeous as it was (hello, what happened to Ruby Tuesday?), it tasted even more fabulous!

avesta said...

I am so gonna make this for Christmas!