Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

12/2/08

Black Bean Soup

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a Black Bean & Tomato soup on one of the food blogs, but forgot to bookmark it: sad.

Tonight I decided to make my own version of Black Bean & Tomato Soup using canned black beans, tomatoes, and spicing it up with adobo sauce. Add fresh avocado, sour cream, cheese and fried tortillas, and you are ready for a comforting meal that takes less than 30 minutes to make.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 tablespoon cumin powder
3.5 ounces adobo sauce
2 15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
28 ounce can cubed tomatoes, with juices
1 cup water
Garnish: avocado, cilantro, cheese, sour cream, fried tortilla chips (take a regular tortilla, cut it into strips, and quickly fry in some canola oil)

Directions
1. Heat oil, add onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes. Add cumin powder and cook for a few more minutes. Do the same with adobo sauce.
2. Add black beans, canned tomatoes, water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
3. Using an immersion blender, puree about 1/2 of the soup. (Feel free to puree the entire soup if you want, or not at all...it's all up to you.)
4. Serve the soup in a bowl garnished with avocado, sour cream, cheese, cilantro and fried tortilla chips.



Notes: am I happy with this meal? I'm thrilled! The adobo sauce added great smokiness and spice to the black beans, while avocado and sour cream cooled things down. This is a very versatile meal: have it as a soup, or as chili, on top of rice or baked potato. I bet the soup thickens up over night, which you can solve by adding some chicken stock, water, or vegetable broth when you reheat it.

For similar ideas, check out Chili Topped with Cornbread.

18 comments:

BlueToYou said...

again, another fabulously concocted and presented dish! you never cease to amaze me :)

Unknown said...

So colorful! Would be perfect on a cold night like the ones here lately!

Melita said...

Looks yummy, really yummy! Just add a really hot pepper for me :)

Anonymous said...

What a perfect soup for cold winter days!

Anonymous said...

Alrighty, it's 7:50 am, and you're making me hungry for lunch already! Looks great!

+Jessie
a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

Shelby said...

Great photos! Looks delicious!

sj said...

Yum! I think this looks so delicious! I can totally see curling up in front of the fire with a nice bowl of this :)

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

That is a winner!! Comfort food does not get better than this!!

Reeni said...

I love Black Bean soup, yum!

Cindy said...

Ooh, that looks even better than it sounded. And I'm dying for some avocado, where'd you get those?

Anonymous said...

mmm fried tortillas! this looks so good!

Anonymous said...

This looks really delicious. I could sit down to a bowl and use chips instead of a spoon!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of corn chips so this soup is great for when I fancy a nachos hit... thanks! Love the chunky pieces of avocado, yum.

test it comm said...

That looks tasty! I like the chunks of avocado on top.

Vorlaufer Von Rottotiller said...

Olga,
Have you created a "TasteBook" Recipe book on Epicurious yet? You should, damn girl you'd sell a lot of them!
I am working on one right now...

Aaron

Vorlaufer Von Rottotiller said...

yum...if I wasn't going to NYC... I'd be taking it easy and making this soup this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Nice photo's gotta try out your recipe. Thank you.

Lynne Daley said...

The addition of the adobe sauce is brilliant. Your soup looks great and easy to prepare.