Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

1/22/09

Dinner at The Olde Pink House (Savannah, 1/18/09)


For our last dinner together in Savannah, Paige and I decided to treat ourselves to dinner at The Olde Pink House, a restaurant located at an old house, which is pink! This place was highly recommended to Paige by her co-worker, and we were in for a treat.

Every room in the Pink House is decorated in a historic style, and every room is slightly different from the other. We were seated at an attic: it was dark, moody, and quite romantic: how fitting! (I am totally kidding!)

Our waitress was incredibly nice, and we were sad she had to put up with a guest who was being a total arse to her! This guy (in his late fifties, at dinner with his wife) was giving our waitress the hardest time because a server brought him a different salad than what he had ordered! He made the waitress recite from memory what the original salad should have been. A manager came over, niceties were said, and I'm sure they got a free meal. Anyways....

Since Georgia is known for its peaches, Paige and I ordered a peach martini: surprisingly it had no effect on me whatsoever, but it was very sweet, smooth and pretty. I bet I could have had a few more :)



This being our one splurge dinner, we decided to go all out: drinks, appetizers, entrees, and dessert!



For my appetizer I had half a dozen oysters on half shell served with lemon, horseradish and cocktail sauce. I was so pleased: the oysters were incredibly fresh and were served straight up on ice. This reminded me of the dinner I had with Anna in New Orleans at the Acme House: fond memories. As you can see, I had no problem finishing up my appetizer, and probably could have had another half dozen. But I restrained myself.



For the main course, I ordered scallops with mashed potatoes and a medley of green vegetables. This reminded me of a seafood restaurant I went to with Jenn during our beach vacation. The scallops were sweet, perfectly cooked through, and slightly caramelized on the outside. The mashed potatoes had a few fried scallions on top: so very good! The green medley consisted of French green beans, edamame and snow peas: see, I was eating my vegetables (not to mention a salad I had for lunch to accompany the wings Paige and I shared).



And then, of course, there was the dessert! I'm so not one of those girls who say "oh no! I'm so full. There was so much food, I cannot eat the dessert." Right...maybe that's why I'm not a size 2...but I hardly think it'd be worth it.

Stepping down off of my soapbox.

Paige's friend, who recommended this restaurant, specifically told her which dessert to order. Our great waitress also mentioned the same dessert. After hearing the other options, I agreed: we ordered a delicate cup made from pralines and filled with ice cream, mango puree and fresh fruit. As if this was not enough, the plate was drizzled with chocolate, and there was some sort of a sweet creamy thing on the plate as well. This was a perfect way to finish the meal.

If you are in Savannah, definitely check out this place for dinner. They are so well known, they don't even have a website!

11 comments:

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

You were right - this place is amazing - what a great menu and your photos are wonderful..

Sara said...

Yum, all the food looks amazing!

Pam said...

What an excellent meal from start to finish. The dessert looks beautiful.

Unknown said...

Oooh! It all looks so pretty and sounds like it was delicious! Have you heard of the Italian Store? Its a little Italian grocery store in Arlington where they make subs and pizza. You can also buy fresh ravioli and sauces to bring home and make. Its the only place my Dad will go to get a sub. It's way better than Subway.

Anonymous said...

Spectacular pictures, looks delicious.

Nancy said...

First time on your blog - love it! I grow a lot of eggplan so will certainly try the Ratatouille meets shepard's pie!

BlueToYou said...

mmm...i keep thinking about the fried pork i got. yum. we need to go back there asap!

dianasfaria.com said...

this looks like my kind of trip! I love the scallops & mashed potatoes. I want to try making that at home.Your food pictures come out so perfect looking. Everytime I take food photos they look blurry & unappetizing. Yours are making me hungry!

Anonymous said...

First time on your blog as well. We've chosen the Pink House for a banquet in April. . .for 57 people. So the past couples months have been spent reading reviews, searching for pictures, and gathering any and all information we can. Next week we're heading to Savannah yet again, for our third scouting trip for the April jaunt. We could only hope our dining experience with the group is as wonderful as yours. Thanks for the wonderful pictures and critique....and that dessert is tempting. We may have to include that! Sheree

Olga said...

Welcome to my blog, Anonymous! You are going to have such a fabulous time at the Pink House! Make sure to check out some of the other casual places I've visited. And if you'd like to know some of the touristy things to do, send me an email, and I'd be happy to share my favorites :)

Anonymous said...

The fried flounder was so good and very simple. Sweet chili sauce. The shrimp and scallop on a bed of pasta was so so.