Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

1/23/09

My last meal in Savannah: BBQ (1/20/09)

For my last meal in Savannah, I decided to find Angel's BBQ. I can't remember where I read about this place, but it sounded like fun.

It was slightly difficult to find, but after I gave them a call (thank god for cell phones!), I was on my way to BBQ goodness.

This little restaurant is located behind a church and resembles a mom & pop shop. My glasses fogged up as I stepped into the warmth from the outside. The decor is very homey and unassuming.








I decided to order a combination of pork and beef BBQ with mac & cheese and coleslaw. This was such a great choice! The mac & cheese was hot and cheesy; the coleslaw was mustard based and light. The meat was very tender and only required a bit of extra BBQ sauce (I chose Memphis Sweet Sauce). And I had some sweet tea (don't be jealous, Laura).




While I was eating, another customer came in. She was a food producer from England! She works with Jamie Oliver! OMG, that was so exciting. Of course I chickened out and did not give her my card...I mean, what was I supposed to say? "Hi, I love Jamie Oliver. Here's my card?"

Sigh.

And then it was time to head back to the hotel, lose my camera case (obviously unintentionally), and head back home.

This was a great weekend getaway.

I hope you have enjoyed reading my recaps. I'm planning to do some actual cooking this weekend, so check in back later.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love BBQ so I am so jealous.

I also love Jamie Oliver, particularly his recipe for home-made pasta.

Dewi said...

Again, you tempted me with such delicious meal. I am still jealous. Yes, you are going to miss all of this wonderful meal you had in Savannah.
Cheers,
Elra

Femin Susan said...

Hi...
Hope you got good meal....

Sara said...

That bbq looks delicious - I've finally found a local bbq joint that's great, I'm so excited about it!

Unknown said...

BBQ is the best, this looks delish! :)

Unknown said...

I'd better start looking for a great bbq place here in Birmingham. By the way "homey"?! Seriously? Are you going to start saying "shrooms" and "veggies" soon?

BlueToYou said...

awww too bad i missed this place, it does look yummy! glad you had bbq with sweet tea, it's an absolute must combination in the south.

Helene said...

I can't believe you were just a couple of hours away from me!!
We love Savannah. I would have taken to my friend Cheryl's bakery "Back In The Day Bakery" where she makes the best cupcakes!

Unknown said...

Hello, It's Aileen from Angel's BBQ. I just ran across your blog. I'm so glad you enjoyed your lunch. Jamie Oliver did end up coming into town but never stopped by our place..DARN! I did see them filming out in one of the squares but was too shy and goofy to say hello. Oh well!