Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

1/12/09

A New Cupcake in Town

This past Friday, a bunch of my friends joined me at Touchstone Gallery, where I'm displaying 9 of my photographs, among other 87 artists.

This was a very exciting night for me, and I was very thankful to see such a great support from my friends. Special Thank you to Jason for the flowers!

After an hour in a crowded gallery, some of us went to Teaism for dinner. And then we wanted dessert! By this time there were only 6 of us left, so Adrienne, Anna, Jason, Jenn, Wendy and I decided to check out Red Velvet Cupcakery (thank you Annie and Stacey for the recommendation!).

The space was rather tiny and sparse. Maybe that's the look they were trying to achieve...not sure, but it did not look welcoming at all. There was only space for a few people at the "bar," and we ended up taking our cupcakes to a nearby TangySweet. TangySweet had a few tables and chairs and bistro tables, but once again, the decor reminded me of a European Disco: it looked cold, impersonal and empty. Adrienne liked it though. Anna tried their pomegranate yogurt, which was really good, while Adrienne had one of the chocolate shakes. I did not try the shake, because the look alone did not appeal to me.

Back to cupckakes. At 9 pm there were only a few choices left.

Jason chose Morning Call (chocolate espresso cake with mocha buttercream) and ate it in a few bites while the rest of us were still deciding. No one ended up choosing Bday (yellow butter cake with milk chocolate ganache), but it did look rather cute.

In honor of Paige, who makes awesome key lime pie, I decided to try Key West (key lime cake with buttercream). This cupcake was absolutely delicious: tart, sweet, and slightly crumbly: I was very happy with my choice.

Wendy chose Summertime (lemon cake with coconut frosting), and Jenn chose Peanut Butter Cup (chocolate chocolate chip cake with peanut butter frosting). I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter, but the chocolate cake part was moist and chocolaty (duh!).

Overall, I wasn't insanely impressed with Velvet Cupcake, but it was better than Cake Love. I think the owners should make the place a bit more welcoming.

And then we went in search of drinks....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an honor having your photographs displayed - which ones are they?? I would love to know....Shame about the welcome, great evening though and I assume you have fun with the drinks!!

Anonymous said...

I wasn't all that impressed with Red Velvet Cupcakery, but you're right when you say they're better than Cake Love (that's not saying much). And the decor did remind me of a police interrogation room...

Anonymous said...

Too bad the place was a little disappointing.

I love lemon cake and I think it would be great coconut frosting.

Anonymous said...

wow, dc really has gone cupcake crazy. i've got georgetown cupcake and baked and wired nearby, and both have really good cupcakes, but these look like the makers have skimped on the frosting! if you haven't tried georgetown or b&w, definitely recommend those instead!

Dewi said...

Cupcake stores all of a sudden popping up like mushrooms, is it a trend? I personally don't go to a place like that, but I see people don't mind stay in a long line, just for a cupcake. Especially in this store:http://www.sprinklescupcakes.com/
Cheers,
Elra

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

I've never seen store-bought cupcakes without 3 times this frosting. I kinda like how they didn't put too much.

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow looks yummy..... Love them at time...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on showcasing your work!