Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

1/2/09

Shrimp with Spicy Corn & Polenta

Monday night was one of those nights where I had very little time to cook dinner. Once again I did not show up to work till almost 9, which meant staying till 5:30. Once at home, I had to test a recipe for a vegan cookbook, make dinner, and have enough time to put myself together before going dancing.


Luckily, I had some defrosted corn and shrimp in my refrigerator (they were leftover from a Sur La Table class I assisted on Sunday). I decided to make Shrimp with Spicy Corn & Polenta.


Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
16 ounces frozen corn, defrosted (of course you can use fresh corn!)
1 garlic clove, sliced
1 tablespoon adobo peppers in the sauce (I buy those in a can at the store in the Latin aisle)
1 cup polenta
4 cups water
1 hand full of spinach
14 shrimp (or use however many you have)
salt & pepper

Directions
1) Heat oil in a large skillet. Add corn, adobo peppers and garlic. Cook until the corn kernels start to pop.
2) Meanwhile, boil the water in a large pot. Add salt. Stir in polenta and cook (while constantly stirring) until it's done. Add spinach in the last few moments.
3) In a separate skillet, heat some oil and cook shrimp about 1-2 minutes per side (be careful not to overcook).
4) Add the corn to the polenta/spinach mixture. Spoon that into a bowl and put shrimp on top. Garnish with cheese and parsley if you have those on hand.


I thought the dish turned out pretty well, although Anna thought the shrimp were undercooked. This was a quick and flavorful dinner to make on a weekday night.

What are some of your dinner ideas for when you want something comforting and relatively healthy, but don't have a lot of time?

15 comments:

Dewi said...

Ah Olga,
This look really mouth watering, what a nice change after eating all of those heavy meal during the holiday.
Cheers,
Elra

Unknown said...

Ummmm...Looks super yummy! One of my favorite things is just chopped lettuce, chicken already cooked and some kind of vinaigrette dressing. Its super easy and yummy!

Anonymous said...

Oh, those shrimp are beautiful! I love it! :D

+Jessie
a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

gail said...

Oh, I love this!

BlueToYou said...

LOVE the presentation!

Peabody said...

Looks like a great dinner.

Shelby said...

Just the title enticed me! Then I saw the photo! Looks awesome!

Zesty Cook said...

Great recipe. great photos and overall great blog!

zesty

Muneeba said...

I can see myself really digging into this on cold days like these! This is a very different recipe, but simple and I can already sense in my head that the flavors would go really well together. Thks!!

test it comm said...

That looks good! I really like the sound of the corn polenta.

Navita (Gupta) Hakim said...

Love your shrimps..they look succulent.

great place!
n i hope to see u at my (fairly new) place too...wud love it!

:)

veggie belly said...

The corn and polenta sound so comforting! I love all the ingredients in this! Happy new year :)

Pam said...

Bright, colorful and full of amazing flavors. Delicious!

avesta said...

This is my kind of recipe! YUM!

Paula - bell'alimento said...

Olga this looks delish. I love the addition of corn!