Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

1/7/09

Wonton Lasagna a la Sara Moulton

One of my favorites from Food TV is Sara Moulton. Unfortunately, I don't have cable, and I don't think she's any longer on that network. Her new show, Sara's Weeknight Meals, however, is on PBS and I love watching it whenever I can. (Oh, and I'm at all not jealous that Anna got to meet her in person!!!) A few episodes ago she made lasagna using wonton wrappers instead of lasagna noodles: what an awesome idea!

I still had some wonton wrappers in my refrigerator left over from making Fried Vegetable Wontons with Red Pepper Salad and decided to put them to use. Plus, after a four hour dentist appointment yesterday I needed some comfort: and food brings comfort!

There are no exact measurements: everything depends on how many people you are feeding, whether or not you want leftovers (of course I do!) and how much of each ingredient you have.








Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil

3 zucchinis, cut lengthwise and thinly sliced into moon shapes

salt & pepper

about 2 cups spaghetti sauce (or tomato sauce)

about 2 cups ricotta

1 egg

a few dashes of red pepper flakes, dried thyme, and oregano (or use any other herbs you like)

about 1.5 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese

wonton wrappers

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 375.

2. Heat oil in a pan. Add zucchini and cook for about 7 minutes until the doneness you desire. Season with salt and pepper.

3. Add an egg and spices to ricotta and mix until well blended.

4. Pour a bit of tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom of your baking dish. I used 8x8 Pyrex to form 4 little lasagnas. If you are making individual lasagnas, make 4 "piles" alternating ricotta mixture, zucchini, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat until you use up all of the ingredients. If you are making one big lasagna, do the same, but you can overlap your wonton wrappers.




5. I let the mozzarella cheese be the final layer. Bake for about 30 minutes.



6. Make sure to let your lasagna stand for about 10 minutes before cutting into it. As you can see, my 4 mini lasagnas blended into a big one.


Thoughts: I was really happy with the final result! You can do so many things with this recipe: use meat, use red peppers instead of zucchini, avoid vegetables all together! It's up to you. The key is that you save so much time by not boiling the noodles. And all you can really taste is the combination of tomato sauce, the zucchini and the ricotta. Wonton noodles just help it all stay together.

19 comments:

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

What a great idea - How was the taste of the wontons vs the noodles? I would think it actually may be lighter with a little less calories / carbs? This has so many variations like you said you could really get creative with this one!!
Happy New Year

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

Hi Olga!

How can you have more wonton wrappers? Impossible to resist since your last recipe about them.. I will try soon, next week dentist time for me also ;)
Love this recipe of lasgana because all the ingredients are fabulous :)

Gera .:. sweetsfoods

Unknown said...

Mmmm...what a delicious idea! Looks great! Good luck tomorrow!!!

Hayley said...

What a great use for the wonton wrappers. I love the addition of zucchini, it looks so comforting.

Dewi said...

Look very scrumptious Olga. Photos look really good too.
Cheers,
Elra

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea - looks delicious!

pigpigscorner said...

I've never thought of using wonton wraps! Looks really yummy.

Mountain Girl said...

What a great idea... I love but avoid lasagna due to it's lengthy prep time, but this looks like it comes together rather quickly. I can't wait to pick some wrappers up when I go shopping!

Anonymous said...

I am really intrigued with all the different ways wonton wrappers can be used. I saw a recipe recently for sweet potato and goat cheese ravioli made with wonton wrappers. I'm glad you liked the way the lasagna turned out!

Anonymous said...

I love crazy ideas like this! I will bookmark it and maybe try it..

sj said...

this sounds so delicious and I would think it would be a bit lighter than the usual way... well done!

Anonymous said...

You can really do so many things with wonton wrappers- They're such a great item to have on hand. This lasagna is such a great idea for them!

Alejandra Ramos said...

I really want to try this out! I love how easy wonton wrappers can make some recipes. This sounds incredible!

veggie belly said...

This is a great idea! I hate dealing with sticy floppy boiled lasagna sheets, and I dont like the no-bake stuff either. So this is a wonderful alternative!

Anonymous said...

I would have never thought to use wonton wrappers. That's so cool.

I hate the dentist so I understand needing comfort food afterwards.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant!

+Jessie
a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

Mindy said...

I've made wonton ravioli before, but didn't think about lasagna...what a great idea! Thanks!

Navita (Gupta) Hakim said...

olga...m bringing my fork....i love lasagne...yum

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Wow! That looks so incredible!
I've heard of using wontons, but have never tried it....think I'll have to now!