Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

2/6/09

Asian Soup with Meatballs

Yesterday I stayed home: needed some extra sleep. Alas, my refrigerator was rather empty, so I had to think hard about what to make for lunch. This is another meal composed of random things that luckily came out quite tasty.

Asian Soup with Meatballs



Ingredients
32 ounce container chicken stock
1 inch piece ginger, peeled
3 inch lemon grass (hit it with the back of a knife a few times)
2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
1/3 cup long grained white rice
2 carrots, peeled, thinly sliced on diagonal
a few small meatballs*** per person
cilantro
scallions

Directions
1. Bring chicken stock, ginger, lemon grass and garlic to a boil.
2. Add soy sauce, sweet chili sauce and rice. Lower the heat, cover and let cook for about 12 minutes.
3. Add carrot slices and cook for a few more minutes.



4. Ladle the soup into a bowl (I used the one Jenny gave me years ago), add a few meatballs, and top with cilantro and scallions. ***Make sure not to add ginger or lemon grass to the bowls!***

***Meatballs: I simply combined ground beef, salt, pepper and finely chopped red onion. I formed the mixture into small balls and browned them in a pan.


18 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks great! Would be really nice with some noodles as well. Slurp!

MyLastBite said...

I wouldn't be able to wait for the soup. I want to eat those meatballs NOW!!

Anonymous said...

Nice idea. Very different. Those meatballs look quite yummy!

Unknown said...

Ummm...It looks delicious, especially with those meatballs.

Dewi said...

I love Asian soup, especially meatball soup. My husband and my son just the opposite.

Btw, I kind of guess that she is your twin sister. Both of you are extremely gorgeous/beautiful/sparkling...Gosh...
Cheers,
Elra

pigpigscorner said...

Lovely flavours there! Sounds really healthy and delicious!

Andrea said...

I wish my leftovers looked that good!

Anonymous said...

Asian soups always seam to have the best flavor. Simple and delicious!

Helene said...

I need you to come over and cook me lunch one of these days! I admit lately it's more yogurt and toast for me since I seem to work straight through it. Sounds delicious and very invigorating!

Buster said...

Just did a variation on this last night, based on available ingredients in my kitchen. Used lamb broth instead of chicken and a reduced amount of fish sauce instead of soy sauce. Also, I put a little cooked brown rice at the bottom of each bowl instead of white rice in the soup. (My partner doesn't eat white rice.)

It turned out lovely.

Still waiting to try the mussels recipe; my plan for the previous evening was aborted due to a pregnant friend unexpectedly showing up for dinner.

jose nazario said...

nice recipe! my wife and i both thought it seemed like a thai matzo ball soup, but we liked that! delicious, and very fast to make. thanks!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

This looks so great and would be perfect for a cozy rainy weekend!!

Anonymous said...

I love this recipe. This warm soup is just for me now on this cold winter day. I'm sure it will be one of my favorites as I love lemon and garlic.

avesta said...

This soup really sounds good to me! My mom used meatballs in a lot of soups growing up and I love broth based soups so I have to try this soon!

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious!

Selba said...

Yummy meatballs. 2 nights ago, my mom made meatballs in tomato soup :)

Anonymous said...

Gotta love it hen on-the-fly recipes turn out well. Always the sign of a great cook ;)

BlueToYou said...

that does look yummy and soothing.

i wish i could've stayed home today, i'm exhausted!