Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

2/26/09

Pureed Beet Soup

Lately I've blogged about quite a few beet ideas.

Coming home a few days ago I remembered that I had two boiled beets sitting in my refrigerator. I gave them a quick smell test, and decided they were still good. But what to do with them? I decided to make a pureed beet soup (something I've seen other bloggers do in the past). Unfortunately, my idea of thinning out the soup with milk went out of a window because my milk has turned sour.

Instead, I pureed 2 boiled and peeled beets with a bit of water (until the mixture reached the right consistency), seasoned with salt and pepper and added a dollop of sour cream and fresh dill.



Overall, this was not a bad idea, but it really could have used a bit more flavor, if only I had more time and ingredients to devote to this soup.

How would you have spiked this up?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

It has a pretty color! :)

Anonymous said...

yes, the colour and pictures are really pretty...funny, your milk reminds me of sliced bread in ours - first thing each morning my daughter does a mold test (yuck!), but with the heating on constant, it just doesn't last....

Anonymous said...

Are your hands stained purple?? :)

Unknown said...

My aunt showed me this soup, which is easy and delicious in the summer: it uses cooked beets (or you can use canned), plain yogurt, and broth-- about equal amounts of each. Just blend them up, add lots of chopped fresh dill, salt & pepper to taste and serve at either room temp or chilled. Just so you know, the soup turns out vivid pink...

veggie belly said...

wow, youre on a beet roll! i'm enjoying all your colorful beet posts :) I read somewhere that you can apply pureed beets to your hair for a mild red tint..

Julia@SometimesLucid said...

Looks gorgeous. I would have used chicken broth instead of water to give it some more body and flavor. Also, maybe add some dill in to the soup itself.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! How about adding bacon? I agree with the stock idea - chicken or beef and a pinch of cayenne.

Peter M said...

You've gone beet-bonkers but that's ok!

Olga said...

Betsy, I was actually able to wash all all the stains from my hands! But you do have to be really careful if you are using a stick blender, as the juice tends to spray all over the kitchen! I ended up putting a paper towel over my blender.

Bruce, that's a great idea. And the color probably would look the same as when I mixed the sourcream directly into my soup.

I totally agree that chicken broth would have increased the flavor...I just did not have any on hand :)

Veggie Belly and Peter M: I'm all out of beets, so the madness will stop for now.

pigpigscorner said...

Awww I really love the colour of beet!