Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

2/4/09

Spicy Eggplant and Red Onions with Cous Cous

Over the weekend, on Saturday to be exact, I still haven't gone grocery shopping, and had very little in terms of food in my refrigerator. What I did have, however, were a few Japanese Eggplants from making Lemony Lentil Vegetable Stew. I decided to use them with a few other ingredients to make Spicy Eggplant and Red Onions with Cous Cous.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 small red onion, cut into wedges
2 Japanese Eggplants, sliced diagonally (no need to peel)
1-2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce (depending on how spicy you want the dish to be)
cooked cous cous (Thank you, Anna: I used the ones you left for me!)

Directions
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add garlic and onions and cook until the vegetables turn slightly soft.
2. Add eggplant. Cover and cook for a few minutes.




3. Add sweet chili sauce. Once the eggplant is soft, increase the heat and let everything come together and caramelize.
4. Served eggplant and onions over cous cous.




This was a very satisfying and low calorie lunch. I must admit I ate the whole thing in one sitting. This just shows how you can make something pretty nutritious and satisfying out of only a few ingredients: just use your creativity!



I could not decide which pictures I liked the best, so I'm posting all of them :)

11 comments:

Dewi said...

Love couscous, and this eggplant is so perfect for it.
Cheers,
Elra

Anonymous said...

It's a great vegetarian dish! Love it!

veggie belly said...

This will be great for a quick meal. I love the chili sauce picture!

Unknown said...

I don't think I have ever actually had eggplant, but it looks tasty!

pigpigscorner said...

oo a perfect weekday meal! simple yet delicious!

Shelby said...

Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Great dinner, especially with bare cupboards.

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

I'm big fan of couscous and eggplant also but together looks sooo delicious :)
Great vegan dish Olga!

Anonymous said...

darn that couscous looks delicious! you're such a fabulous cook!! where do you get all your inspiration from??

Homemade Heaven said...

I love this dish, so simple but packed with flavour. I have 6 eggplants growing in my garden, which hopefully will bear fruit in the next month. I have book marked this as a definite!
I made your mango soup last night, very good - but very rich!
Thank you for the lovely recipes.

BlueToYou said...

beautiful photos!