Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

2/6/09

Tilapia Avocado Tomato Sandwich (T.A.T.)

Last weekend I ate pretty badly. Burgers, fries, etc.
Monday I decided to make fish for dinner, and luckily tilapia was on sale. Tilapia is one of the easiest fish (fishes?) to make. It is white, mild flavored, and thus picks up whatever flavors that you impose on it.

After seeing that avocados were on sale, I decided to make a tilapia sandwich! Let's call it T.A.T. (Tilapia, Avocado, Tomato Sandwich).

Ingredients
2 teaspoons olive oil
tilapia fillet
salt & pepper
lemon juice
Jalapeno Cheddar bread
mayonnaise
chili powder
avocado, sliced
tomato, sliced

Directions
1. Heat oil in a pan. Season tilapia with salt and pepper on both sides and cook for about 2-4 minutes on each side depending on the thickness. Tilapia should be cooked all the way through: no pinkness in the middle. After you flip the tilapia over (to cook on the second side), drizzle it with some lemon juice.
2. Combine mayonnaise and chili powder.
3. Assemble the sandwich: bread, mayonnaise, tilapia, tomato, avocado, bread.



I really liked this sandwich, although I had to eat it with a fork because it was a bit tall. The bread was crusty and did not need to be toasted, but if you are using regular sliced white bread, I'd recommend toasting it first.

Also, don't forget to season your tomatoes with salt and pepper to bring out the flavors.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great sandwich! I could even make a smaller version of this for my daughter's preschool lunch (the rules there are that she can't bring any meat, only dairy, fish or veggies).

Unknown said...

Usually not a fan of tilapia (too bland), but this sounds good!

Dewi said...

Too bad that my family dislike Tilapia, but I do. I like all kind of fish. Sandwich sounds excellent with tilapia and avocado. Healthier too.
Cheers,
Elra

BlueToYou said...

oo! i make tilapia sandwiches, but not your kind. i'll have to try.

avesta said...

I love putting avocado on my sandwiches...and this one sounds right up my alley!

Anonymous said...

nothing wrong with tilapia and avocado all in the same sandwich! how healthy!
I'm from Falls Church, but live in Atlanta now. Nice to meet you.

redmenace said...

I think this is an excellent idea. I am a HUGE sandwich fan. Thank you! And, sadly, I have not figured out how to run a foreign country :( I'll let you know!

Anonymous said...

I like tilapia and I don't understand why some people seem to hate it. It's like the other chicken of the sea.

Angry Asian said...

i love fish sandwiches and i bet the combo of the tomato and avocado was so good!

test it comm said...

I really like the sound of this sandwich!

Anonymous said...

This recipe is great and it has become a definite staple in my house!