Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

3/16/09

Hot Peppers & Ragu

Last week, Justin from Marx Foods in Seattle sent me 5 different types of dried peppers to "play with." I was thrilled. And a bit scared. And had no clue what to do with them.

I also still had some ground beef in the freezer that I won from Stephane and some random vegetables: time for RAGU!

Meat and Vegetable Ragu with Panca Peppers

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small red onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 cup sliced carrots
2 cups sliced mushrooms
4 sprigs thyme
2 Dried Aji Panca Peppers, rehydrated, seeds removed and finely chopped
1 pound ground beef
26 ounce can of Four Cheese Spaghetti Sauce, or any other type of spaghetti or tomato sauce
salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions

1. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onions and garlic and saute for 3 minutes.

2. Add carrots, mushrooms and thyme and saute for about 6 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, brown the ground beef in a separate pan. Discard any of the rendered fat.

4. Add cooked beef and rehydrated peppers to the vegetable mixture. Add spaghetti sauce. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes. Adjust the seasoning.

5. Remove thyme sprigs before serving.


You can serve this ragu over pasta or rice. Or on top of mashed potatoes. Or use it in something a bit more elaborate (check back on March 27th: yes, I like to tease).

If you have any suggestions for what I can make with Dried Habanero Peppers, Dried De Arbol Peppers, Dried Tepin Peppers and Dried Aji Amarillo Peppers please let me know!!!

9 comments:

The Purple Carrot said...

Looks yummy!

I wouldn't have any suggestions for the hot peppers because I don't particularly like things tooo hot:s (though it's growing on me!) My husband on the other hand is a different story, haha.

Anonymous said...

This ragu sounds awesome - love it! I'll think about some things to do with the dry peppers. How fun!

Oh, just thought of one - you can grind one or more of those into a powder and use it as a dry rub on a steak?

Unknown said...

What about using them in a curry? This sounds really yummy!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of these particular peppers. So are they super hot??

The Duo Dishes said...

Whooo sounds hot!

Chef Fresco said...

Oh wow, homemade ragu! I'm impressed!

hungryandfrozen said...

All those peppers look amazing. The ragu looks and sounds delicious - I bet the pepper gave it a really deep-toned flavour...

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that looks yummy!

+Jessie

Shelby said...

Looks great! I love heat....