Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

3/20/09

Mini Grape Pie

Yesterday I promised to blog about my grape pie. Many of you seemed to be intrigued by this idea, so I'm more than happy to share this story with you.

Like many of my culinary creations, this "recipe" came about because something else has failed: the dough for the hamentashen that I originally set out to make last Tuesday wasn't holding together. I was only able to make 4 of them and did not know what to make with the remaining dough.

That's when I decided to make a Mini Grape Pie. How did I come up with this? I decided to use the grapes because while testing one of Robyn's recipes for broiled pork & grape skewers, I've discovered how amazing grapes become once they are heated. They turn so much sweeter and literally burst once you bite into them.

I used one of my newest rectangular mini dishes from Crate & Barrel, which is luckily oven-safe to make this Mini Grape Pie.

Ingredients for the dough (adopted from Rivka's recipe)
1/3 cup butter at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 egg (I took an entire egg, whisked it with a fork and then used 1/2 of the mixture)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest 
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch salt
1-1.5 cups flour
a bunch of red seedless grapes

(click on the image for better view!)
Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 375.
2. Cream the sugar and butter for a minute.
3. Add egg, lemon zest and vanilla. Mix together.
4. Combine dry ingredients and incorporate into the wet ingredients.
5. Once the dough is holding together, make it into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Spray your baking container with oil spray (or use butter). Using 1/2 of the dough make the bottom part of the pie: I simply molded the dough to fit the shape of my dish using my fingers.
7. Put enough grapes on top of the dough to cover it.
8. Cover the grapes with the second half of the dough. Make a few slits. Bake for 20-30 minutes till golden brown.
You know what? This came out really tasty! I had it the next morning for breakfast (re-heated in the microwave) and even my friend Laura at work liked it! If only I had some vanilla ice cream....
Note that this recipe makes 1 mini pie (about 7 x 4 inches). You can double or triple the recipe to make a larger one.
Was this worth the wait?
What cooking creations have you come up with after your original idea has failed?

22 comments:

The Purple Carrot said...

I was excited to see your post when it popped up in my google reader because I've been waiting to see this grape pie! : )

And, yes, it was worth the wait ... it looks delicious!! Do you mind if I try it?? I'll even supply the vanilla ice cream! ; )

Joie de vivre said...

Olga, that's so pretty!

Dewi said...

Very pretty Olga, I mean both you and the tart ...
Cheers,
elra

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks wonderful! I love that you left the grapes whole!

sj said...

oooh that looks really good!

The Duo Dishes said...

Such an interesting recipe. And so little ingredients. That's the best part.

Sara said...

This looks so good! I saw Martha make a concord grape pie on her show once, I always thought it was a neat concept.

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

So cute it looks fresh and sweet delicious!!

Have a great weekend!

Gera

Shelby said...

I've never seen this before! Looks yummy!

Simones Kitchen said...

It's a good thing the grapes are still in one piece so I can see the scale of these mini grape dishes! Looks wonderful and delicious!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh yummy! :)

Joie de vivre said...

Just came by to say hi. Thanks, as always, for your comments Olga.

Unknown said...

I was wandering how a grape pie would look. The grapes actually look a little like cherries. How neat! I think I'll have to try this!

avesta said...

grape pie....sounds interesting and I'll try your recipe out....the pic that was chosen is very cool! congrats!

Mrs. M. said...

This looks good. It's amazing how much you can do with grapes. I once made roast chicken with grapes: put a bunch of grapes in a roasting pan, place a chicken on top, and roast. Grapes roasted on their own are pretty good too.

tamilyn said...

Pretty pictures. I would have never thought to put grapes in a pie.

Salt N Turmeric said...

This looks good Olga!

BlueToYou said...

so cool! grape pie. i never would have thought it! AND the pictures are gorgeous as per usual.

Rivka said...

grape pie -- what a concept! Looks delish. Sorry the hamentaschen dough failed, but I've consulted with my mother the expert and I'll be back next year with a vengance :)

John Socrates Loyola said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Socrates Loyola said...

Great! I had fun reading your article. Looking forward for more of your recipes. If you need some information about grapes, you may consider this: http://goinggrapes.com/

John Socrates Loyola said...

I agree. Very good concept. A grape pie seems to be a great idea. Fantastic. Well, the pie would rely on how the good the grapes are. So for, reliable information about grapes, consider this: http://goinggrapes.com/