Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

3/16/09

Potato & Celery Soup

Food is expensive. I hate wasting money. Sometimes I throw food away, which is the same as wasting money.

Some of the recipes I test for Robyn include celery. I'm not a huge fan of celery, so most of the time I throw the non-used celery stalks away. Technically it's not completely a waste because Robyn reimburses me for the groceries...but still.

This weekend I decided to use up the celery to make Potato & Celery Soup.



Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
6 celery stalks, peeled, chopped
4 thyme sprigs
3 red potatoes, peeled, cubed
enough water or vegetable stock to cover the vegetables
1 cup milk
sea salt & ground pepper

Directions
1. Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions and celery and saute for about 10 minutes.
2. Add potatoes, thyme sprigs and enough water/vegetable stock to cover the vegetables.
3. Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat and cook until all the vegetables are completely tender.
4. Remove thyme sprigs.
5. Pure in batches until smooth.
6. Add milk and season with sea salt and ground black pepper.

You know what? I was honestly really surprised and pleased by how the soup turned out. It'd be great with some French bread...alas, I did not have any French bread.

What recipes have you made lately with food you would have otherwise thrown out?

14 comments:

Fahrenheit 350° said...

Potato soup is my favorite! My mother passed down a great recipe - very similar to yours! And P.S. I love polka dots!

Simones Kitchen said...

Great that your trying to use up the leftovers. Ever since we started our cooking classes we are also trying to be a little bit more sensible about using up the food in the fridge. Especially since we are only two, you sometimes have to buy larger quantities of things meaning we have lots of leftovers. I actually made a pasta dish with what we had left in the fridge today. Mushrooms, spinach, cream, chickenstock, smoked chicken and hmm.. I think that was about it. It could have been a little bit spicier though, but the taste was quite good and I felt I had been very responsible with the leftovers! Your soup sounds delicious too!

Anonymous said...

I used a couple tbsp of cream cheese leftover from a frosting recipe in pasta. Usually the leftover bits of cream cheese dry out in the fridge and get thrown away.

Anonymous said...

OK Olga- I have printed up this soup and to say I am sorry I will go and make it as it looks lovely!!! and is healthy...and it will be summer soon and too hot to have soups ( I don't do cold soups!) Dee xxx

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of raw celery and I'm always surprised that it is very good cooked, in soups and other dishes. The soup looks really good, I would really like one right now as I have a cold.

The Duo Dishes said...

We are all about the use, use, use. Nothing goes to waste! This is a good way to use celery too as we don't know too many celery soup recipes.

Dewi said...

Sounds so scrumptious Olga.
Cheers,
elra

Chef Fresco said...

Wasting anything, especially money & food, is one of my main pet peeves! And I always have to throw away extra celery stocks - now I know what to do w. them, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Yum! That celery stick looks so fresh and crispy - it's the perfect garnish! :)

pigpigscorner said...

I always use my leftovers in soups and stews. Not a big fan of celery but my fiance would love this!

Shelby said...

This looks great Olga!

Anonymous said...

Oh fantastic! Always looking for economical recipes these days. Thanks!

+Jessie

Unknown said...

Another use for leftover celery - cut it up in about 4-inch pieces and freeze. Next time you are making mashed potatoes, put a few pieces of celery with the potatoes while they are simmering (never boil!) :)

Zesty Cook said...

I love this flavor combination. Great stuff :) yum