Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

3/10/09

Seared Tuna with Bok Choy & Edamame

What's for dinner? I ask myself that question quite often, along with What's for breakfast and What's for lunch? Some days I have an easier time deciding than other days, and last Sunday was just such an occurrence.

After walking almost 5 miles in the morning, having pasta for lunch and taking a nap, I wanted something fresh and invigorating for dinner. Alas, that required a trip to the grocery store, but it was so worth it!

I knew I wanted seared tuna (and luckily it was on sale for $5.99/pound). My original idea was to have it along with an avocado & tomato salad, but that plan changed once I saw edamame on sale.

I present to you Seared Tuna with Bok Choy & Edamame. [Two things: 1) What do you think of my newly acquired collage skill?? 2) I took the photos at 8 pm at night: thus the poor quality]


Ingredients (my apologies for not providing the exact amounts this time: I seriously just put a few splashes of this and a few splashes of that: taste as you go!)

soy sauce
rice vinegar
sesame oil
vegetable oil
ginger, microplane'd
garlic, microplane'd
ground black pepper
tuna
sesame seeds
bok choy, quartered
shelled frozen edamame, defrosted


1. Combine the first 7 ingredients. Make sure the sauce tastes salty and gingery. Leave half of the sauce in a bowl, and put another half aside.
2. Marinade tuna in one half of the sauce.
3. Add a bit of vegetable oil to a hot pan, add bok choy and edamame and stir fry for about 5 minutes. Remove from a pan into a bowl and add the remaining sauce. (See, the same sauce is used as a marinade and as a dressing!)
4. Remove the tuna from the marinade and coat it in sesame seeds.
5. Heat a bit of oil in a pan (I used the same one that I used for the vegetables) and sear the tuna for about 3 minutes on each side, depending on how cooked you want it to be and how think your tuna is.
6. Slice tuna on a diagonal and serve on top of bok choy and edamame.


LOVED this meal.

What's your idea of a fresh, invigorating, quick and delicious meal?

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Diet coke with freshly squeezed lime or lemon :)

The Purple Carrot said...

Sounds SO good!!!

Esi said...

Oooh, lucky your tuna was on sale. This looks like a great meal! I have this quick quinoa salad recipe that I really love. It has tomatoes, black beans, cilantro and a lime dressing. It's easy and healthy!

Unknown said...

That looks tasty! O love the collage! :)

Chef Fresco said...

Seared tuna is one of our favorite things to make. We'll have to try it with the bok choy!

Dewi said...

Love everything in this dish. Delicious Olga.
Cheers,
elra

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I love the salty and gingery sauce! Your tuna is beautiful.

avesta said...

I love seared tuna and I never make bok choy though I love it too...will remember to get some at the market next time!

Anonymous said...

So pretty and fresh-looking. Must have been a great meal!

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

Olga pretty and delicious!
After a long walk or workout I like a dish of pasta with tuna and veggies!!

There's an award for you on my blog!

All the best,
Gera

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love sesame crusted tuna! Edamame and bok choy are a delicious accompaniment too - so fresh and light! :)

Zesty Cook said...

Great Pics Olga!! I love Tuna

Emily said...

I love bok choy. One of my fave meals is stir-fried baby bok choy with Trader Joe's gyoza (pot stickers) :-)

sj said...

oh yummy! looks soooooo good!

Anonymous said...

Digging your collage making skills.... Love tuna cooked this way. Other people think it's disgusting but they've obviously never tried it. rare tuna > cat food any day of the week.

test it comm said...

This looks nice and simple and tasty! Nicely cooked tuna!