Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

3/5/09

Stuffed Chicken

Foodbuzz was having a competition to win tickets to an amazing event in Chicago. You had to use at least one of the following ingredients: cashews, macadamia nuts, chocolate, dried cherries, cranberries, almonds, etc.

Seeing the list of possible ingredients, I decided that most people would make a dessert. I, on the other hand, decided to go with a savory dish in order to stand out and hopefully win!

Special thank you to Anna for logistic help. If I win, I'm definitely taking her as my +1.

What I decided to make was Stuffed Chicken with Cashews. And the stuffing? Dried cherries, red onion, thyme and brie.






Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
3 sprigs of thyme
1/4 cup dried cherries
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
2 slices Brie cheese
salt & pepper
2 teaspoons mustard
1/4 cup cashews, chopped

Directions
1) Preheat the oven to 400
2) Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan, add onions and thyme, cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally
3) Add dried cherries and balsamic vinegar and cook for 2 minutes
4) Remove thyme sprigs and let the mixture cool
5) Make slits in each chicken breast
6) Stuff each chicken breast with a slice of brie and half of the cherry/onion mixture
7) Use toothpicks to close the openings in the chicken breasts
8) Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a stainless steel pan. Sear chicken breasts 3 minutes on each side seasoning with salt and pepper
9) Smear mustard on top of each chicken breast, top with cashews and put in the oven for 15 minutes
10) Once out of the oven, make sure the juices run clear



11) Let the chicken stand for 5 minutes, remove the toothpicks (I had to use my jewelry pliers!!) and slice diagonally
12) Make sure not to touch the handle of the hot pan with your fingers: it hurts! A lot!
13) Enjoy.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you win!!! I'd love to be your +1

Unknown said...

That really does look great! Chicken goes so well with dried fruit. Whenever we make chicken salad, we always add in dried cranberries. Good Luck!

Jennifer said...

YUM! I may have to try this myself!

Anonymous said...

Wow you should definately win. I love brie, it's one of my fav cheeses.

helenc1973@gmail.com

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

That looks wonderful~!

Fahrenheit 350° said...

Can I just say talented!

Zesty Cook said...

my my goodness I love this!

Anonymous said...

I wonder what criteria they are going to use to choose the winner. 10 more days, right.

Anonymous said...

Looks good, and the pictures are beautiful. The pictures look like there's a lot of stuffing in each piece of chicken. Is that true?

foodbin said...

i love anything with cashew nuts-lean chicken meat and cherries-oh! so tempting
i hope you will win.

Anonymous said...

Great choice to do something savory. The finished dish looks fantastic. Good luck.

Chef Fresco said...

Haha so funny, we just made stuffed chicken last night too (will be posting it soon). Yours looks great, I love brie!

The Duo Dishes said...

Oh now that's a good idea. You went for a more savory angle. Love, love, love that! Good luck!

tamilyn said...

I love the photos-great to see the process. That little bit of color in the chicken breast looks great.

hungryandfrozen said...

This looks delicious - good luck!
I don't see how you could go wrong with that list of ingredients :)

pigpigscorner said...

Great flavours and texture! Love the addition of nuts.

Netts Nook said...

Your stuffed chicken looks great. Can't wait to try. Yummy