Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

4/24/09

Artichoke Cooking Simplified

Last weekend I bought one huge artichoke at the grocery store because it was on sale for $2. I did not want to do anything fancy, because I needed to start on my Daring Bakers Challenge (check back on Monday to see what it was)...and so I did something very very very simple!

After washing the artichoke, I cut off one inch from the top, removed a few leaves from the bottom, trimmed the stem and wrapped the whole thing in plastic wrap. I then microwaved it for 10 minutes.

While the artichoke was in the microwave, I melted a bit of butter and added some lemon zest and microplane-d garlic to it. If you don't have a microplane (go out and buy one!!!), you can just very finely mince your garlic.




The photograph in the lower right corner above is of the cooked artichoke. After removing the artichoke from the plastic wrap (be really careful because the steam is insanely hot!), just pluck the leaves off and dip them in butter and then suck on the bottom part (the top part of the leaves is not really edible). This is one superb snack!



After you are done eating all the leaves, you'll be left with what you see on the left ;)
Simply remove the "fibers" with a spoon, and then you can eat the rest of the artichoke!

19 comments:

The Purple Carrot said...

So not gonna lie, I didn't know what the inside of an artichoke looked like until reading this post! haha. I've been intimidated by aritchokes because I don't know waht to do with them! So thanks for the info : )

Btw, I saw that pizza and it looks SO good!! ; )

BlueToYou said...

LOVE the photos, again magazine quality :) neat idea too for a quick and easy appetizer for a dinner party.

recipes2share said...

I second that - fantastic photo's!

The Duo Dishes said...

Guess it's not so hard to work with a fresh 'choke after all. Bring on the aioli!

Anonymous said...

I still haven't cooked with fresh artichokes. I really need to pick some up this weekend.

Chef Fresco said...

I've never had fresh artichoke - this looks great!

Anonymous said...

That DOES sound like the easiest way to make artichokes! And so tasty. Must try!!!

Ninette said...

Pretty photo!

Christie @ Fig & Cherry said...

Great tutorial! I love artichokes eaten simply like this :)

test it comm said...

Nice artichoke tips. Artichokes can be difficult to work with.

Sara said...

Great tips! You make it seem very simple. I've had trouble with artichokes in the past but this is giving me a little courage to try again.

Jim said...

Great site, great photos, great dishes...thanks for being there...Jim

Unknown said...

My mom did this with artichokes a couple of times a month when i a kid. usually with a grilled steak or crab legs... they can share the butter with the artichoke :) She would use her rickety half broken metal steamer basket to cook them on the stovetop.

Mary@ mary mary quite contrary said...

Just posted this for my readers.....clever and simple, thank you ! Found it on Pinterest, you have a great page here !

jordan said...

you can cook them in boiling water until soft. Dip in mayo (sounds gross but trust me its delicious)

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

Absolutely! I cooked them in water this past weekend b/c have been microwave free for the last two years. and I LOVE mayo!!

Fran said...

I make a hamburg stuffing and stuff all the leaves then steam it. Very tasty!!

Laura said...

I use the pressure cooker and cook for 18 minutes, but I add a bit of olive oil and a few drops of lemon juice before I cook it. After cooking, I dip my leaves in mayo too, and enjoy this yummy vegie all to myself!

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

That sounds delicious, especially for the large artichokes!