Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

4/13/09

Broccoli with Tofu, Ginger and Garlic

Here's a quick dish you can make any day of the week: Broccoli with Tofu, Ginger and Garlic.

This dish came about like many of my other culinary adventures: I had a few random ingredients on hand and needed something quick for dinner.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 inch ginger, peeled and cut into really thin strips
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pinch red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
2 hand-fulls broccoli florettes
soy sauce and rice wine vinegar to taste
1 package firm tofu cut into cubes [My friend Jenny suggested I let you all know how to handle tofu: you need to remove it from the liquid that it's packaged in. Then you place the tofu on several layers of paper towels, cover the tofu with a few more layers of paper towels, top it off with a cutting board and then set a heavy bowl or a pan on top of the cutting board. This process removes excess water from tofu. I think I "drained" the tofu for at least 30 minutes.]

Directions
1) Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a pan. Add ginger, garlic, cumin seeds and red pepper flakes and saute for several minutes.
2) Add broccoli florettes, soy sauce and rice wine vinegar and cook for about 5 minutes.
3) In a separate pan (use non stick!) heat the rest of the oil and saute tofu cubes until they turn a light golden color.
4) Combine broccoli with tofu cubes, adjust the seasoning and enjoy.

This dish is good both hot and cold. You can eat this by itself or as a side served with chicken or beef.

11 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

It looks like the perfect weeknight meal!

Sara said...

Looks good to me, I have been trying to increase my tofu intake!

The Purple Carrot said...

Sometimes the best recipes come about when you don't have much and you want something quick! ; ) (at least that's the way it works for me! haha)

Chef Fresco said...

Mmm looks delicious! I can never quite get Michael talked into trying tofu, but maybe with this recipe!

alice said...

I love dishes like these. So simple and tasty.

lisaiscooking said...

This is a great combination! Sounds like a quick and delicious meal.

recipes2share said...

I love a combination of ginger and garlic - it seems to bring a dish alive. This sounds delicious!

Zesty Cook said...

I love the simplicity and flavors in this dish - great job!

zesty

sj said...

I love this... simple, healthy and delicious! Wonderful combo :)

Shelby said...

I'm there! I love anything with tofu!

BlueToYou said...

this looks so beautiful. like something you'd see in a magazine! great work O!