Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

4/6/09

Brownies with Lime Frosting

Before I go home for the day, I thought I'd share an idea with you: how to glamorize a boxed brownie mix. What happened was that I was going to Cindy's baby shower on Sunday and did not have much time to bake (16 mile training walk, salsa dancing, and all that fun stuff).

I know most people like chocolate. So I thought I'd bring brownies, but I wanted to make them a bit more special. I usually add either orange zest, chocolate chips, or nuts into the mix before baking it, but this time decided to do something different.

Lime Frosting
Ingredients
2 cups confectioner's sugar
zest and juice of one lime (Note: first zest the lime, then juice it)
1 tablespoon water

Directions
1. In a bowl combine all the ingredients and whisk till smooth. Add a bit more water if necessary.
2. Spread the glaze on prepared and cooled brownies and let it set.

The lime made the brownies a bit less sweet and added an element of surprise. You could do the same with lemon too!

What are some ways you have spruced up a boxed brownie mix? (I hope not all of you make yours from scratch!)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

You know what could be really cool? A garnish of candied lime rind on top of the brownie

The Purple Carrot said...

My sister always used to spruce up brownie mixes with coffee ... yum!!

Unknown said...

I don't think I have ever made brownies that weren't from a box mix. This sounds like a yummy idea!!

Zesty Cook said...

Wow Yum!!! This would not last at my house

gaga said...

I've never considered lime with chocolate. I'd love to give this a try!

HuggingtheCoast.Com said...

Oooh, I love the idea of the lime garnish, CIA007girl!

The Hungry Mouse said...

Oh these sound just fabulous, honey. :D

+Jessie

Fahrenheit 350° said...

Hmmm, Hmmm, Hmmm! I make a mint frosting sandwiched between the brownie and a chocolate glaze!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Oh my goodness does this sound wonderful!! Never would have thought of lime with my boxed brownies!!
Thanks for the tip!

foodbin said...

a great way to enhance it

Cindy said...

Thanks a LOT for leaving all those leftovers with me...I've dipped into them more times than I care to admit.

Tacky as it might sound, a touch of green food coloring might have been a nice addition to the frosting, because while they were incredibly delicious, they weren't the most attractive looking dessert.

Simones Kitchen said...

That sounds delicious! I love lime and I love chocolate... gotta be good right?