Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

5/1/09

Cucumber & Radish Salad

Cucumber & Radish Salad is something I grew up eating in Russia. It's a perfect dish for hot summer days. The typical ingredients for this salad are English cucumbers, radishes, dill and sour cream.

When I decided to make this salad a few days ago I was out of sour cream, but I did have Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt (the company was nice enough to send me 4 coupons for their product!). I decided to improvise and use the yogurt instead of sour cream.


Ingredients
1 cup sliced English cucumber
1 cup sliced radishes
1/4 cup chopped dill
1/4 white onion, finely chopped
2-4 tablespoons Greek Yogurt or sour cream
salt & pepper to taste

Directions
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and either chill for 20 minutes or serve right away.


Variations: The salad can be made with added peas, boiled potatoes or boiled eggs. You can also add scallions or red onions, and use either mayonnaise or sunflower oil instead of yogurt or sour cream.



Once I was done eating the salad, there was quite a bit of liquid left on the bottom of the bowl. Not sure if that's due to high water content in the cucumbers or because the Greek yogurt was thinner than sour cream. However, the liquid was still tasty and I ate it as soup :)

How do you use Greek yogurt in your cooking?

18 comments:

sj said...

This looks like a lovely salad for the summer Olga. I love that it uses radishes... I love them! Yum!

Adam Orr said...

Thanks for sharing, Olga. Can't wait to try....looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Nice salad with cucumbers and radishes! I love the Oikos Greek yogurt. First, I'm using it in my recipe I posted today so you have to check it out :) We are also using it in this new chocolate milkshake Hannah and I made up. We've been drinking it every day - literally!

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

A summery good looking salad and the Greek yogurt match very well with the veggies :)

Have a great weekend!
Gera

The Duo Dishes said...

This is so fresh and delicious. We've got fat free sour cream, dill and radishes. Maybe we can make something work..

Dew Drops said...

My Grandmother used to make this salad when we went over for dinner to her house, years ago when I was just a kid. It brings back memories!!

Simones Kitchen said...

That just looks lovely and fresh and perfect for a beautiful spring day!

gail said...

What a great combo!

♥peachkins♥ said...

wow,this looks like a really good salad..

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow looks cool and yum....

Unknown said...

It looks like the perfect cool summer salad. Yummy Olga!

Chef Fresco said...

Quick, easy, healthy, I couldn't ask for anything more. Great post I will def try!

Juliana said...

Great salad for the hot days that will be coming in the near future...very refreshing. The pictures are great!

louis luzzo said...

I'm a huge fan of Greek yogurt and this refreshing recipe is perfect for our year round warm temperatures here in Florida.
Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of this one...thanks!

Sara said...

This looks perfect for summer weather!

The Cooking Photographer said...

I must remember this. I'll be back to visit. Your recipes are gorgeous.

The Hungry Mouse said...

Love it! Cuke salad makes me so happy. :D Totally summer.

+Jessie