Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

6/1/09

Chicago: Pizza at Marcello's

Chicago is known for its deep-dish pizza. But I'm really not a fan of that style. I prefer thin crust! Plus, I already had deep-dish the first time I was in Chicago years ago.

This time around, Anna, Amy, Wendy and I met one of Anna's friends, Kate, from the CIA (Culinary Institute) for pizza at Marcello's. This place was recommended my multiple people, and we were looking forward to a fun experience and good food.

Because the restaurant did not offer pizza by a slice and Wendy was the only one who wanted deep-dish pizza, we decided to order two salads and one extra large thin pizza. It was the fastest that 5 people ever came to an agreement when it came to food. That gave us time to chat and learn about Kate's future catering business endeavours!

The service was sort of mediocre, but the food was definitely great!

We started with Marcello's Chopped Antipasto Salad (mixed greens, roasted red & yellow peppers, tomatoes, artichokes, red onion, Italian meats, fontinella & Gorgonzola cheese served with our homemade Italian dressing): the ingredients were fresh and there were plenty of them! We also had a Caesar salad.

When it came to pizza, we decided to be rather simple and ordered Artichoke & Plum Tomato pizza (a sprinkle of fontinella, Parmesan, Romano & mozzarella cheese with garlic and olive oil sauce topped with artichokes & plum tomatoes). The crust was perfection! It was thin and tasted like it was fried in olive oil (a good thing). I was surprised that tomatoes were not fresh, but they still tasted delicious. We had so many leftovers (snacked on them throughout the day).



ooh!!!

P.S. Wendy did end up getting a taste of deep-dish pizza on our last day in Chicago at Gino's. Everyone was happy!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pizza looks delicious! But no deep dish? I'm not too much of a fan of deep dish myself but when my husband and I were together in Chicago for the first time, we went to the original Pizzeria Uno and had a deep dish there and seriously it tasted differently than the others I've had and it was really good. Perhaps it was because we had to walk there for about 2 hours and I was pretty hungry :)

Anonymous said...

Wow what a great meal. That antipasto and pizza look so good. My mouth is watering.

Dewi said...

YUMMM, my husband and my son will love this very much.

Teri @ Make a Whisk said...

It's not what I go there for, because if I'm at Gino's, I probably want Deep Dish. I LOVE Deep Dish. Still, I was pleasantly surprised by how tasty Gino's thin crust pizza was. I've been in a thin crust mood, lately.

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

Olga I can eat pizza 24/7 I adore it and need exercise to moderate the intake...but with this pizza and photos I'd eat all the month :)) Yummmmmm!

Cheers!

Gera

Unknown said...

I am a fan of the thin crust pizza too, but I'm glad you tried the thick crust. It would have been a shame to have gone to Chicago and not tried the deep dish even once. Isn't pizza the funnest food? We don't really get nice pizza here in England. We get European style pizzas which are OK but nothing like what you get in the US.

Winker said...

mmmMMM Gino's is one of our favorites!
Will be making a visit to Marcello's soon though. Thanks for posting or I'd never have known it existed. Another good slice of thin crust Pie in Chicago is Pizza-Ria on North Ave in the Red line station.

NikiTheo said...

As a Chicagoan, I know good pizza... Especially DEEP DISH!!!
But if you wanna try something different, try Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co. They have a PIZZA POT PIE!!!
http://www.chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/menu.htm

Yum!!!

And Lou Malnatti's (all over Chicago) has great thin and deep dish. Nick's on the soutside (106th and Ridgeland) has awesome deep dish.

Honestly, Chicago has some of the best pizza, way beyond just Gino's and Giordano's. WAY BEYOND!

Sara said...

This looks like an exceptionally good pizza! We had deep dish at Giordanos when we were in Chicago.

Unknown said...

Chicago pizza! I bet it was the best!!

Anonymous said...

high five, Olga! I prefer thin-crust myself...I much more enjoy the filling than the dough, and deep-dish just feels me up after one slice!
gosh...the food looks great, and so does that antipasto salad...looks mighty fresh! I shall def hit this place when I go to Chicago!

pigpigscorner said...

I personally prefer deep dish cause I love the crust!

pigpigscorner said...

Thanks for leaving comments on my blog! I would love to know how to make balsamic glaze! thanks in advance =)

foodcreate said...

Looks Delicious I love deep dish but I will take thin crust Giordanos Chicago style pizza the best. LOVE It.

Thanks for sharing your recipe:)

And you can visit me if I can visit you:)

Welcome~~~
foodcreate.com

Salt N Turmeric said...

Iv never liked deep dish either until I moved here since hubby only eat those kind. lol. It's hard to find a good pizza here in cali. :(

Farina

BlueToYou said...

ah pizza one of my favorite foods, but i've never had it in chicago. your pictures make me want to go there!