Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

7/24/09

Carrot Soup with Indian Flair

Last week I decided to finally use a bag of carrots sitting in my refrigerator for longer than I care to remember. I also happened to find a red onion and a bit of cream (the cream was left over after a Daring Bakers challenge...I don't usually have cream in my refrigerator). Soup is what I decided to make.

Carrot Soup with Indian Flair

Ingredients
2 teaspoons neutral oil (vegetable/sunflower, etc)
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 inch ginger, peeled, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder
6 carrots, peeled, chopped
8 ounces vegetable stock
8 ounces water
salt & pepper to taste
2 tablespoons cream
optional: 3 tablespoons cream and cilantro for "cilantro cream"

Directions

1. Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add the first five ingredients and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add carrots, mix with the rest of ingredients. Add vegetable broth and water, bring to a boil.
3. Lower the heat, cover the pan and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
4. Add the contents of the pan to a blender. Add two tablespoons of cream and blend together. Season with salt and pepper.
5. You could stop at step number 4 or in a separate blender puree additional cream with fresh cilantro to use as a topping for your soup ("cilantro cream").

A few notes

1) you can make this soup entirely using water
2) feel free to just garnish the soup with chopped cilantro and not "cilantro cream"
3) depending on how thin you want your soup to be, you might need to add more liquid
4) this soup is great as leftovers--in fact, I had it over brown rice the following day because it thickened up while sitting in the refrigerator

And just for Anna, this recipe makes about 3 cups of soup.

13 comments:

chow and chatter said...

fab soup, love the indian flavours my hubby would like this rebecca

Unknown said...

I like the idea of having some over rice. That sounds yummy!Half the people in my family hate cilantro, but I love it and try to sneak it in whenever. It's hard though, it has that distinct smell and flavor. =)

Simones Kitchen said...

See now that is a recipe that I could actually have right now, lol. It looks delicious and I like the idea of the cilantro cream! We're growing cilantro in the garden right now and it's thriving here, so I need to use it more often and this is perfect!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love everything except for the cilantro cream...I think this soup would be great with a nice crusty bread..

Unknown said...

Love the colors! Beautifully presented :)

Leslie said...

I love a good soup any time of year!

Angie's Recipes said...

The soup looks so yummy...and the presentation has a Williams-Sonoma cookbook style....simple and chic.

Angie's Recipes

Tim said...

The cilantro cream is such a good idea. So simple but it looks great!

Poorni Pillai said...

Beautiful colors :) I love cilantro.

Katerina said...

I just love carrot soups, you can do so many interesting things. Try adding cashews or almonds adds a bit of protein and a delicious addition to the curry flavours.

Jude said...

Ooh I was just thinking of making carrot halwa. A soup isn't such a bad idea all of a sudden.

BlueToYou said...

although it is carrots, i would definitely eat this. yum!!!

Aviva Goldfarb said...

This looks amazing--can't wait to try it!