Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

7/24/09

Currant Scones

I'm sure you have all been patiently awaiting a recipe for Currant Scones after reading (and I'm so happy you liked it!) the 5 Minute Black Currant Jam post. Well, here it is. It's the recipe I slightly changed from Epicurious.


Currant Scones

Ingredients

3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
orange zest from 1 orange
lemon zest from 1 lemon
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilled butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup dried currants
1 cup chilled buttermilk
optional: extra buttermilk and sugar

currant scones Directions

1) Preheat the oven to 400F.
2) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3) Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda into a large bowl. Mix in orange and lemon zest.
4) Add cubed butter and using your fingertips mix it into the flour mixture until it looks like coarse oatmeal. Add currants and mix.
5) Gradually add buttermilk, while mixing with the fork.
6) Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it briefly until everything is combined (but do not over-knead).
7) Form the dough into a 1 inch thick round and cut it using a biscuit cutter (original recipe had you cut the round into 8 sections). I managed to make 15 scones out of this recipe.
8) Optional: brush the scones with additional buttermilk and sprinkle with additional sugar. Make sure to leave some space in-between the scones, as they will expand during the baking process.
9) Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

currant scones
PS. Serious Eats chose my photo as one of the photos of the day!

20 comments:

BlueToYou said...

LOVE the ribbon! scones are one of those baking things I'm always afraid to try but you make it look so easy!

Unknown said...

Woo hoo, you made them round :)... thats the English way daaahling. *high five* (as they do at afternoon tea!)

Delicious Dishings said...

I'm sure I would love these. One thing - I've never bought dried currants before. Where does one find them? Are they among the other dried fruits?

kar said...

Mmmmm... currant scones and currant jam! My friend with whom I share a CSA share and I are hoping we'll get more currants next week, so we can try your jam!

Thanks for stopping by! :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love scones in any form or flavor. That ribbon has made these my favorite for the day. The recipe looks great and the buttermilk is a great addition.

Angie's Recipes said...

A stack of scones tied with the bright blue ribbon.... just beautiful!

Angie's Recipes

chow and chatter said...

oh I love cones reminds me of my Grandma

Creative Classroom Core said...

Your pictures are always so gorgeous!

And I LOVE scones!

Unknown said...

You are really going to town with those photos on serious eats! Congrats! The scones look amazing! :)

Chef Fresco said...

Yum! Love the presentation!

veggie belly said...

Yes, ive been waiting for the scones post! Love the presentation and the photos!

Simones Kitchen said...

Aaahhh.... oooohhh... well, I can't say you didn't warn me... drool, drool...:) They look absolutely gorgeous Olga!

Dewi said...

Sounds very tempting.

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love scones. I love them with my coffee.. but I've never had currant scones because there is no currants here! This makes me want your scones more!!

Jennifer said...

These are SO lovely!! Ive never had scones with currants. Beautiful picture!

Sasha said...

Oh yum! Scones are the best. And currents are so bad either.

Shelby said...

I would love this scone with your jam!

Kathryn said...

Your scones look great! And I love your pictures- what kind of camera do you use? Thanks for the great recipe!

Anonymous said...

Your scones look delish. congrats on your photos being picked for phot of the day.

paz

The Hungry Mouse said...

Looks fabulous! Congrats on SE!

+Jessie