Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

7/18/09

Home-Made Spinach Pasta with Tomatoes and Capers

For the last seven years, as long as I was in DC, feeling well, and had no spectacularly amazing plans, Monday nights I spent salsa dancing. It was my thing.

Unfortunately lately, those dancing nights have become more frustrating than fun. And so this past Monday I decided to stay home, make dinner, drink wine, and watch The Bachelorette.

For dinner, I decided to make Home-Made Spinach Pasta with Tomatoes and Capers. The recipe is insanely simple, and you can use store-bought pasta if you don't feel like making your own. To go with the pasta, I picked up a bottle of Aveleda Fonte Vinho Verde: it's one of my most favorite wines: fresh, slightly bubbly and goes well with most food.

Special Thank You to Jenn for the fabulous tomatoes.

Home-Made Spinach Pasta with Tomatoes and Capers

Ingredients for the pasta (I used only 1/2 of the recipe for this recipe; stay tuned to see what I did with the remaining pasta!)

1/3 cup spinach leaves

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/4 cup water

1 egg

1.5-2 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

Ingredients for the sauce

1 teaspoon olive oil

2 garlic cloves, sliced

4 small tomatoes, cut into wedges

1 teaspoon capers

4 basil leaves, torn

1 teaspoon lemon juice

Directions

1) In a food process puree spinach, oil and water.

2) In a bowl whisk an egg, add pureed spinach/oil/water and combine.

3) Add flour and salt and mix until a dough is formed.

4) Using a pasta machine roll out the dough and cut it into desired shape. [See my issues with my pasta machine]

5) Start boiling salted water for pasta. In the meantime, heat oil in a pan and add garlic. Cook garlic for 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes and capers. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Turn the heat off.

6) In the salted water, cook pasta for about 3-5 minutes. Drain, add to the sauce.

7) Heat the sauce and pasta for 1-2 minutes, add basil and lemon juice, adjust the seasonings and serve!

Note: If you have cheese, USE it!Home-Made Spinach Pasta with Tomatoes and Capers

13 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Olga, I always love to find your recipes in my reader. This looks so clean and mouthwatering it's pointing the way to dinner in my house. I'm sorry to hear about the pasta machine, Were you able to return it?

Leslie said...

Perfectly simple and delicious!!!
I wish I like wine. :(

pigpigscorner said...

So simple yet so delicious! Love the colours! I bought a pasta maker recently and can't wait to try this out!

chow and chatter said...

wow you made your own pasta what a perfect meal can't beat good food and chillin at home sometimes LOl

Karine said...

Homemade pasta are just really good! I have never had a homemade spinach pasta though... it must be delicious!

Unknown said...

You make your own pasta? How impressive. U r putting me to shame girl!

Unknown said...

Sometimes you need a break. :) This looks really good Olga and that is such a neat looking bottle.

The Purple Carrot said...

Remember me? Ha, so I haven't commented in awhile, but I'm still here reading and enjoying your creations, I promise!! : )

♥peachkins♥ said...

I haven't tried homemade pasta. Even if it's made with other members of the family. Your homemade pasta looks wonderful!

Simones Kitchen said...

I still have this love/hate relationship with homemade pasta. On the one hand I really really like it, but well.... I don't know yet if it is worth the trouble! But regardless; this is a delicious looking recipe!

Chef Fresco said...

Look great. I've never tried making my own pasta. Anything w. fresh basil delicious to me!

BlueToYou said...

wow! making your own pasta. you should have your own show! love the wine bottle too.

Stephanie Thomas Berry said...

Hi!

I came across your blog while searching "pasta machine rust."
I bet you know what happened! :(

So I was wondering, how did the rust affect your pasta making, if at all?

Thanks, and Happy Cooking!

Stephanie