Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

8/28/09

Summer Orzo Salad

Remember I wrote about receiving a green pepper as a gift? I must admit (and this is not pretty) that I asked why the pepper wasn't just allowed to turn red on the plant before being picked. After all, red peppers are definitely more delicious than green ones. Well, turns out the green peppers grown in one's garden and harvested have a hundred times more flavor than the green peppers I buy at the store!

One of my summer favorites is an orzo salad: it's very easy to make, lasts in the refrigerator for several days and is a great way to use some of the random things you have in your refrigerator. This time I decided to use the green pepper, a huge tomato one of my coworkers gave me and fresh basil.



Ingredients for 4-6 servings
1 cup orzo, cooked according to instructions on the packet
1 large tomato, cubed
1 green pepper, chopped
10 basil leaves, chopped
1/4 red onion, chopped
dressing: lemon juice, olive oil, salt and black pepper

Directions
1. Combine cooked and cooled orzo with tomatoes, peppers, basil and red onion. Drizzle with the dressing. Mix.
2. Refrigerate the salad for at least 30 minutes.

Variations: add olives, feta, sundried tomatoes, chicken or good tuna.

Have a wonderful weekend!!!

P.S. Thank you Photograzing for choosing me again :)

12 comments:

chow and chatter said...

yummy recently started using orzo must give this a try

Dewi said...

That Orzo salad look really beautiful Olga!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! I love all variations of orzo salads!

Unknown said...

Looks great, I'd love to try it.

Mary Bergfeld said...

You're salad looks beautiful. I think I'll add sun-dried tomatoes to my bowl.

Delicious Dishings said...

I love it! Orzo is so versatile!

♥peachkins♥ said...

This is indeed very summery. So colorful!

Velva said...

That orzo salad screams summer!

Chef Fresco said...

I love love orzo salads. Yours is so fresh looking!

Cindy said...

Yes, your orzo salad looks yummy, and healthy too. But that fig thing next to it looks TO DIE FOR!!!! (Sorry!) Except they burned the bread. I can't imagine anyone doing something like that ;)

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

This looks great!
Photograzing is one of my favorite past times. Well, grazing would be my first favorite, photograzing my second.

Mahek said...

WOW!!!!!!!Such breathtaking photos
I love those bowls too, when i see such bowls i really feel i too should have one but you dont find such bowls in India are they ceramic or melamine.