Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

10/20/09

Beef & Black Bean Enchiladas

Although I live by myself, most of my recipes can be doubled or tripled: enough to feed a crowd or to last as leftovers for several days. This Beef & Black Bean Enchiladas recipe serves as a perfect example.

Using simple ingredients, you can make a hearty meal that takes minutes to put together and can be served for lunch or dinner. If you have kids in your household, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help you assemble the enchiladas.

Ingredients

1 pound ground beef
lime salt to taste (thanks Marx Foods!)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
19 ounce can enchilada sauce
1 cup brown rice, cooked according to directions on the package
14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 green chili pepper, minced
8 flour tortillas
15.5 ounce can black refried beans
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
extras: sour cream, cilantro, salsa, guacamole

Directions

1. Brown the ground beef with lime salt, chili and cumin. Add 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce. Mix.
2. Add drained tomatoes and diced chili pepper to the rice. Mix.
3. To assemble the enchiladas, spread refried black beans on a tortilla. Top with rice and ground beef mixture. Top with cheddar cheese. Roll.

4. Preheat the oven to 375.
5. Add enough enchilada sauce to cover the bottom of 9x13 Pyrex dish. Once the enchiladas are rolled, put them into the sauced dish seam-side down. Top with the remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.


6. Bake for 20 minutes.

7. Serve enchiladas with sour cream, salsa, cilantro and guacamole (I wish I had guacamole, but I did not).

Variations: the beauty of this dish is how versatile it is. You can substitute ground beef with ground turkey or chicken, or use leftover pulled pork. You can make the entire dish vegetarian! Of course you can also use any type of cheese you want and add regular black or pinto beans instead of refried beans.

What's your favorite way to make enchiladas?

18 comments:

Jen said...

Ooooh these look good. And the lime salt sounds intriguing.

I always make my grandma's recipe for chicken ones involving lots of cans of stuff: olives, green chiles, cream of chicken soup, refried beans, etc. She calls them, "Enchiladas in a can."

I'll have to try yours. They look nice and fresh!

Mary Bergfeld said...

These look delicious. I am intrigued by the lime salt. I think a food expedition is in order.

Leslie said...

I have never made enchiladas before. But that doesnt mean I dont love eating them!!!!
I honestly like them everyway I have had them!
I am going to have to keep an eye out for the lime salt

Unknown said...

I ADORE enchiladas! These look so yummy and easy to make :D

Anonymous said...

Delicious enchiladas, love the lime salt & cumin here!

Simones Kitchen said...

I love enchiladas. They are perfect for using leftover things we still have in the fridge and there is something so comforting about mexican food. This looks delicious!

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

Stunning enchiladas, adore the extra combo of sour cream and cilantro on it, so beautiful colors :)

Cheers!

Gera

Lea Ann said...

These look wonderful. Will save the recipe and try it soon.

Hillary said...

Agreed - very nice enchiladas!

Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries said...

These enchiladas look delicious! I have a recipe for Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas that I love--and instead of folding the tortillas, I cut them into quarters and layer them between the sauce--so yummy! :)

Sasha said...

Oh my god! Yum! I love Mexican food and your enchiladas look divine.

I should def. try making them. And soon. ; )

chow and chatter said...

oh wow yummy, and amazing pics, i write for an Organic Meat company would you like this to be featured with a link back to you?
rebeccasubbiah at yahoo dot com

Rebecca

pigpigscorner said...

Your enchiladas look great! Love the filling...yum! The weather is getting so gloomy I have to cook this son.

Anonymous said...

Lime salt??!! OMG, I have to find that!

No one is a huge fan of them in family - my husband can take or leave Mexican food (I know, what is wrong with that!) and both my daughter and step-son think its too much sauce.

There's no such thing!

You just reminded me though that I can make a pan just for all me - studded with loads of pickled jalapenos - :D

Thanks for the reminder to make these!

Chef Fresco said...

Those beans look delicious & so does that cheese smothered on top!

Frances G. said...

These look really yummy! I make chicken enchiladas with a sauce from scratch that I'm very proud of. One of these days I'll have to measure everything so I can share the recipe! My mom and I came up with it years ago after tasting a restaurant sauce that we needed to have again (and again!). I stuff the enchies with chicken, green chiles, chopped olives and a bit of cheese and always make enough for leftovers. :)

Erica said...

The enchiladas look fantastic! I am a huge fan of Mexican food.

Yum Yucky said...

Those enchiladas are killin' me!!! I've got to try this.