Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

10/16/09

Minty Brownie Bites with Pomegranate Glaze

This week I attended a knitting event at the Washington DC Jewish Community Center and decided to bring something sweet to snack on.

Who doesn't like chocolate, right? The way I came up with this recipe will demonstrate to you how most of my recipes are born. Last week, I was testing a recipe for Robyn which required mint extract. Obviously, the recipe did not use the entire bottle of the extract, and so I had quite a bit of it left. Also, a few weeks ago I received 8 mini POM bottles from Kristen, the P♥M blogger. I decided to combine these two ingredients with a store-bought brownie mix to make Minty Brownie Bites with Pomegranate Glaze.

Ingredients

1 brownie boxed mix (mine required 1 egg, 1/4 cup oil and 1/2 cup water)
1/4 teaspoon mint extract
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons confectionery sugar
2 tablespoons POM juice

Directions
1. Preheat the oven according to directions on the brownie mix's box.
2. Mix together the brownie ingredients with mint extract [be very careful in measuring out the mint extract, and do so in a separate dish, not over the mixing bowl: you don't want your brownie bites to taste like toothpaste].
3. Divide the brownie batter among the 32 lined mini cupcake molds.
4. Bake for 25 minutes.
5. Let the brownies cool completely.



6. To make the glaze, whisk together confectionery sugar and POM juice. If you want the glaze to be thicker, add more sugar.
7. Spoon the glaze over the minty brownie bites. Let it set and enjoy with a glass of milk.



These were quite a success! Of course you can also make this recipe in a 9x13 Pyrex dish, you'll just have to bake the brownies for a longer amount of time. But there is something so adorable about the mini bites :)

20 comments:

Rhea said...

Nummy! I appreciate the insight into your creative process, too :)

Anonymous said...

I love the addition of mint flavor to the brownies, yummy! Excellent with the pomegranate glaze!

Unknown said...

Clever of you to use box mix... i do that too but i just dont tell anyone. I like ghirardelli brownie mix. :D
Have a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

They tasted great and I think the knitting was fun too! Join us at the next knitting event. Maybe we'll have more treats??? http://thejdc.convio.net/site/Calendar/937798488?view=Detail&id=118181

Delicious Dishings said...

Those are adorable! Definitely a better idea to do the little bites! I love your POM glaze on top too. I may or may not post my steak with POM glaze because I walked away from the stove and the glaze reduced way too much. :(

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

Did you say chocolate and mint? Oh gosh I desperately have a bite on one of them!!
This is a timely snack as dessert applicable to all the day :)

Cheers!

Gera

Velva said...

Oh! Chocolate and mint! One of my favorite flavor combinations. Very nice.

BlueToYou said...

what a creative idea! i bet the pomegranate mixes really well. great thinking olga!

Chocolate Shavings said...

What a great way to use POM!

Esi said...

They sound as good as they look...even with using the box mix ;)

Lea Ann said...

These are beautiful! Love the addition of mint. Will have to try this.

natalie said...

oh yum! these are so cute! never would have thought to use POM!!

The Duo Dishes said...

Interesting pairing of sweet and tart like this. You probably only need a couple of bites to eat all the right spots.

Amber said...

Mint and pomegranate? I never would have put them together but with chocolate almost anything is perfect. And these are too cute.
Last year you commented on my blog regarding the table settings from a charity luncheon. The event just finished again and I just put the first post up if you are interested.

NMOS said...

Yes, I have to admit that's an interesting combination of chocolate, mint, and pomegranate. You could also try raspberry glaze. That would actually go well with it too.

Simones Kitchen said...

How gorgeous these look Olga! Lovely flavor combo... :)

LittleRed said...

OK those just look delicious!

Veggie Belly said...

How many times ive measured something over the bowl and the who bottle fell in and ruined whatever i was making! Love the mint and love the glaze..very creative!

Miranda said...

I enjoy your site...It rocks!
These looks amazing.

Good luck on my giveaway. Thanks for entering.

pigpigscorner said...

Great combo!