Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

10/25/09

Vegetable & Tofu Coconut Soup

Last Monday I was feeling blue and had very little appetite (something that doesn't happen to me too often).

I decided to make something warming, flavorful, easy and colorful for dinner to try and cheer up slightly.

This soup basically includes chopped vegetables, canned vegetables, tofu and a few other ingredients.

It's incredibly easy to make and is great as leftovers.

Serve it on its own or with rice, something my friend Jenn likes to do when we order a similar soup at our favorite sushi restaurant (yes, they have both Japanese and Thai dishes).







Ingredients for 4-6 portions

32 ounces chicken stock
1 can coconut milk + same amount water
2 inch ginger piece, peeled and sliced into planks
2 carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
1 cup broccoli florets
1-2 tablespoons curry paste
5 ounce can diced chestnuts, drained
1/2 snowpeas, halved
1/2 can miniature corn
juice of 1/2 lime
12 ounce container tofu, cubed

Directions

1. Combine all ingredients in the pot. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Seriously? Seriously! It's that easy. Adjust the flavor and taste with more curry paste and lime juice. Serve garnished with cilantro.
3. If you want to be a bit more scientific, combine chicken stock, coconut milk, curry paste and ginger first. Then add the vegetables (start with those that would take the longest to cook).

9 comments:

Priya said...

Looks deelish! I'm going to cook green curry today! Same base as yours, but with green curry...

Unknown said...

Ah, if only healthy good could get me out of my gloom. No, I need fatty stuff like donuts, bread and lots of butter, cakes etc. Very pretty soup though. If you serve it with some carrot cake it may get me out of a mood too.

Lea Ann said...

This really is so different than I've ever seen. Looks yummy and healthy. Will have to give it a try.

pigpigscorner said...

I always crave for soups when I'm feeling down..looks and sounds really good!

NMOS said...

First, sorry to hear you were feeling blue. I hope the soup cheered you up a bit. I know it would cheer me up if I ate it.

It looks delicious. I was just going to say that I've tried this soup at a Thai restaurant that I always go to here in Seattle. I like how the flavors work so well together. Nice recipe.

♥peachkins♥ said...

This soup looks really comforting on those days..

Hope you're feeling okay today!

Velva said...

When you are feeling under the weather a nice light healthy soup can be very comforting. This soup looks like it would hit the spot. Very nice!

Simones Kitchen said...

There is nothing better then a good soup if you're feeling slightly under the weather! This looks lovely!

LittleRed said...

I LOVE coconut milk and curry! I will have to try this and I think even my 8 year old will like it....we make a shrimp and coconut milk curry very much like this and he likes it...now we'll have to try your soup!