Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

11/20/09

Challah French Toast with Madagascar Vanilla

After coming back from San Francisco, I learned that Marx Foods was having a photo contest using vanilla beans. I was very excited about entering the contest and receiving 6 Madagascar and 6 Tahitian vanilla beans.

As you already know, I used some of the beans to experiment with making vanilla extract at home. But what to do with the rest!? Luckily, Anna came to the rescue and suggested I make a Challah French Toast. Since she's my older sister (by 30 minutes!!!!), I listened to her.


This time instead of making my own challah, I bought one at the grocery store. And I also used a new whisk I received at the Foodbuzz Festival a few weeks ago: isn't it pretty? Unfortunately, it did not work too well in the shallow plate I was using...maybe it's best to be used in deeper bowls?


Challah French Toast with Madagascar Vanilla

Ingredients

4 3/4" challah slices

2 eggs

1/4 cup milk (I used whole milk)

1 teaspoon orange zest

1 vanilla bean

1 tablespoon brown sugar

2 teaspoons butter

Directions

1. In a bowl add eggs, milk, orange zest, seeds from a split vanilla bean and brown sugar. Whisk together.



2. In a heavy-bottomed pan heat the butter. Dunk the challah slices in the egg mixture and cook in butter for 2 minutes on each side. Serve with a bit of powdered sugar. I found no need for maple syrup, as it would have overwhelmed the flavors of vanilla, brown sugar and orange zest.

The photo below will be my entry to the photo contest. I'll let you know when the voting will begin :)

Note: obviously the flower is not to be consumed.

Any suggestions for what to do with my remaining vanilla beans? Thanks!

19 comments:

chow and chatter said...

oh wow looks awesome and mazing picture cool whisk

Unknown said...

...well, you can make vanilla sugar.

This is stunning french toast. You've used every ingredient that i love here, and i am totally drooling. Damn my diet!!!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Maybe we should have met this morning for breakfast at your house so I can try this :) See you in a bit!

Sasha said...

Wow. That is some good-looking French Toast. I'm definitely trying this recipe.

That whisk is very interesting..

Jen said...

Heavenly housewife beat me to the sugar.

Flavors I like with vanilla are cinnamon, citrus, and brown sugar. I don't have any suggestions other than something with those flavors.

Olga @ Healthing It said...

Challah French toast is like one of my favorite foods in the world.

This looks incredible!

Anonymous said...

I love challah french toast, too!

paz

Delicious Dishings said...

Great picture! Looks delicious!

Unknown said...

wish i was having that for breakfast instead of my soyjoy bar

Unknown said...

I think that with the extra beans you should make ice cream. I just love vanilla ice cream, especially home made.

Priya said...

Excellent pic! I hope you win..

Simones Kitchen said...

Ofcourse I will vote for you once it starts! Lovely picture and great choice to use the vanilla for french toast! It must have tasted fabulous!

Esi said...

Love vanilla beans! I used my whisk the other day...until my arm got tired! Have a great trip!

Lea Ann said...

ohmygosh, this looks WONderful. I love that little whisk and have to have one. I'll be saving this recipe to make during the holidays.

Bren said...

very lovely! love the zesting. great touch.

Quinn said...

That whisk is meant for you to work with caramel. Like how people spun sugar in circular manner covering a tall croquembouche! Works beautifully with sugar.I have been wanting to buy it like forever!!!!! Lucky you!

Unknown said...

Vanilla can go in any dessert, but can also be used in main dishes... like roasted fish and tomatoes/cream/vanilla/onions/thym/chicken stock. Funny thing, I learned that one in Madagascar...

Velva said...

Your french toast look divine! You have my vote! I will visit the web site to vote for you.

Velva said...

Okay, I read the post wrong... You already entered the contest. Your French toats still looks divine :-)

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!