Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

11/29/09

Roasted Carrot Soup

Here's another recipe I developed for Robyn's blog. Enjoy! I promise to post some new things in coming weeks :)

With this cold weather, it's a wonderful time to make soups. One of the least expensive vegetables around are carrots. Although inexpensive, carrots will win you over with their gorgeous orange color, natural sweetness and abundance of vitamin A, dietary fiber, antioxidants and minerals. Below is a recipe for Roasted Carrot Soup, which doesn't take much time to make, but will warm you on a cooler fall day. I bet even your kids will like it!

First, a note on roasting. Roasting is a wonderful technique of cooking at high temperatures. You can roast vegetables, poultry and even fruit. Roasting brings out the natural sweetness in your food and frees you to do other kitchen tasks while the food sits in the 450 degree oven. One of the keys in roasting is to make sure not to pile your food on top of each other. Roast your vegetables in one layer, and make sure that all pieces are of the same size: that way, it will all cook evenly.

Ingredients (makes about 5 cups)

7 large carrots, peeled, cut into 2" pieces

olive oil

salt & pepper to taste

1/4 teaspoon cayenne (less or more depending on your tolerance for heat)

2 1/2 cups chicken stock

1 cup milk

garnish: fresh thyme, cream (optional)

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 450.

2. In a bowl drizzle carrots with olive oil and season with salt & pepper, and cayenne. Mix well.

3. Transfer the carrots onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet and roast in the oven for about 30 minutes, until the carrots are tender. They will turn a nice golden-brown color.

4. Let the carrots cool a bit, then add them to a blender and puree with chicken stock and milk. [Note, to make this soup vegetarian, use vegetable stock or water instead of chicken stock.]

5. Pour the soup into a stockpot and reheat. To serve, garnish with fresh thyme and a bit of cream.


Variations: you can use this recipe with sweet potatoes, winter squash, red peppers, or combination of the above. Try drizzling a bit of olive oil or good balsamic vinegar instead of the cream if you are watching your calories.

14 comments:

Lea Ann said...

I've never made a roasted carrot soup. I love love love soups and will be giving this a try. As always, great photos.

Anonymous said...

The flavors with roasted carrots must be fantastic! I'm thinking of doing a carrot soup with my leftovers from Thanksgiving today, I hope it works :)

Unknown said...

A great winter soup!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This must be wonderfully flavorful. It looks delicious.

Sasha said...

OMG, Olga. This looks divine! Good job : )

♥peachkins♥ said...

Do you still have a cup left of this gorgeous carrot soup??

Leslie said...

now that is an easy and tasty soup!! I love roasting veggies

pigpigscorner said...

Great idea roasting the carrots first! must be really flavourful.

Priya said...

hey Olga.Thanks!
This soup looks too beautiful to be eaten! I think Ive seen this pic you posted on Robyn Webb's page? or may be it was a similar pic with same garnish...Either way....great job!

Anonymous said...

Your soup looks really good. I love roasted carrots.

Paz

Chef Fresco said...

I bet that soup is soooo good. I've only had carrot soup from a box, I can't even imagine how good homemade would be.

Lisa said...

THIS SOUP LOOKS AMAZING, as do the photos. Beautiful color, and the flavors delicious. I need a good carrot soup recipe, so I'm looking forward to making this.

BTW, your new site layout looks great, and really enhances your beautiful photography!

Krystal Wight Armstrong said...

This looks like a really amazing soup I had in London, so I'd love to try this. Can you tell me more of what you mean by 'serving with cream?' Is it not an actual ingredient that gets mixed in? I can't picture cream being garnish...is it just a drizzle on top for a little contrasting white design for presentation, or does it add to the flavor and dish as a whole?
Also, it is a soup to be served and enjoyed warm/hot, right? I've seen some similar looking soups that were served chilled. Oh, n/m I re-read...you mention it being warm for winter; sorry.

Thanks for the recipe and any more helpful info you can offer on my cream confusion.
Happy Week! :)

Angelica said...

Finally made this soup and just finished a delicious cup of it. Ridiculously easy, healthy (right?) and best of all, incredibly tasty! I took pictures the whole way through which I'll share on my blog soon. Thanks for the recipe!!