Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

12/16/09

Latkes with Red Onions & Parsley

Before anyone says anything, I know that prosciutto is not Kosher, and that eating meat with milk products is not Kosher. Luckily, I don't stick to these rules.

And now to an awesome latkes recipe with red onions and parsley, served with browned prosciutto and sour cream.

Ingredients
2 Yukon potatoes, peeled
1/4 red onion
1 egg
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons minced parsley
oil for sautéing
toppings: cubed and browned prosciutto, sour cream, more parsley

Directions
1. In a food processor grate potatoes and onions. Squeeze out all the liquid.
2. Mix potatoes and onion with an egg, salt & pepper and parsley.
3. Heat oil (I used avocado oil) in an iron skillet.
4. Form latkes and cook 4-6 minutes on each side. (For best results, use a fish spatula to flip them).
5. For a meat free and kosher dish, serve with sour cream and parsley.

6. If you love pork, add some browned prosciutto!

Happy Hanukkah!

14 comments:

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

What beautiful latkes! The color is great and they look perfectly crispy. I don't celebrate Hanukkah, but I am so thankful for the latkes! Add some proscuitto sounds like a yummy breakfast!

Simones Kitchen said...

They look totally delicious Olga! I love latkes! (although I always called them by different names..:))

Lea Ann said...

Olga I'm sure glad you don't stick to the rules. These look FABulous. I'm saving this recipe.

Anonymous said...

With prosciutto, hmmm.... LOL! They sure sound yummy! I made sweet ones for breakfast this morning, check them out. Happy Hanukkah!

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

Did you say latkes??? And prosciutto....I'm in right now :)
Happy Hanukkah!

Cheers,

Gera

Delicious Dishings said...

Ooh love the prosciutto idea! And I'm a huge fan of latkes. Where do you find prosciutto like that? I always just get slices at the deli.

Esi said...

You know I am not a potato person, but this is one of the few ways I enjoy potatoes. Loooove the cubed prosciutto!

♥peachkins♥ said...

Oh this looks like a great breakfast!

Cindy said...

Is that prosciutto or pancetta? Looks more like pancetta. (Says the other totally non-Kosher Jew)

NIck said...

Perfectly browned and very delicious looking. The squeezing out all the liquid step is the most important one if you ask me.

Never thought about using avocado oil for stuff like that. I'm gonna give that a shot.

Happy holidays!

Dewi said...

My favorite ever! This is why I love Jewish holiday, the food is always good.

pigpigscorner said...

I like how you served it with prosciutto! Looks so good!

Stacey Snacks said...

I don't stick by any rules, either, but latkes with ham????
I am hysterical, though how can that be bad?
Just don't tell my grandmother.

Last Passover we ate at a friend's house and her Chinese housekeeper made the chicken soup, and she put pork dumplings in it!
For 40 Jewish people at a seder.
I was cracking up!

BlueToYou said...

i know it's sacrilige but it looks awesome. glad i'm not the only one that eats latkes with sour cream!