Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

12/25/09

Pho-like Matzo Ball Soup

Last Friday I decided to go to the grocery store to get ready for a huge snow storm we were supposed to have in DC area. To be completely honest, I did not believe we'd be snowed in, but thought it'd be best to be prepared. I decided to buy a mix to make Matzo Ball Soup, but with a twist. What's the twist? I used spices you would typically find in Pho! One of my photos was used in Washington Post: score :)

Pho-like Matzo Ball Soup

Ingredients

4.5 ounce Manischewitz Matzo Ball & Soup mix

3 quarts water

1 egg

2 tablespoons oil

2 tablespoons coriander seeds

4 cloves

2 star anise

2 inch piece of ginger, cut into a few pieces

2 teaspoon sugar

1-2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce

1 cup snowpeas, halved

1 cup shredded Napa cabbage

2 peeled carrots, made into ribbons using a peeler

Directions:

1. Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil with a spice package from the boxed mix, sugar, chili sauce and coriander, cloves, anise and ginger. (Note: put coriander, cloves, anise and ginger into a big teaball or cheesecloth so you can easily remove it).

2. Meanwhile, combine the matzo ball package with an egg and oil. Mix. Let sit in the refrigerator for 15 min.

3. Once the liquid part of the soup is boiling, form about 14 balls (wet your hands with water to make this process easier).

4. Drop the matzo balls into the liquid, turn the heat down, cover and cook for 15 min.

5. Add snowpeas, cabbage, and carrots, Cook for 5 more minutes and serve!


Also, I'm going to submit this recipe to Natasha's 5 Star Makeover.

Merry Christmas to all of you who celebrate it! I'm spending a day volunteering at the DC Jewish Community Center, seeing a movie with my friend Radha and then getting Chinese with Radha, Drie and Mas.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love the spices!

♥peachkins♥ said...

comforting on chilly nights...Merry Christmas!

Angie's Recipes said...

Don't know the soup...but it looks pretty good for a cold rainy day.

Lauren said...

this looks wonderful! those pho spices are so warming, and nothing beats a good bowl of matzo ball soup on a cold day

pigpigscorner said...

Love the addition of spices! Looks so good!

RJ Flamingo said...

Such a creative idea! I'm not wild about their soup mix on its own, but I can easily imagine doing this using my own homemade chicken soup & matzo balls. Mmmm....

Thas said...

This is a good soup for this freezing weather.

Simones Kitchen said...

Lovely soup Olga! And did you get snowed in or did it not happen? I woke up to snow falling on christmas morning, but it melted all too quickly... Still a little bit of snow was fun!

Bren said...

these looks sooo good and something my dad would just love. I like even better the idea of cloves and star anise in there, two ingredients I use a lot in our Cuban food!

Hope you had a great Holiday at the Jewish center.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I found your blog through the Washington Post Snowpocalypse article we were both mentioned in. I really like your recipes!

-Jen

Shana said...

I really liked this. And the hubby did too :) I ended up using chili paste because I didn't have chili garlic sauce. I think that might have made it spicier than it could've been. I'll probably try it again with chili garlic sauce.

Joanne said...

I don't love matzoh ball soup but this looks too good to pass up. Perfect for when you're snowed in during a blizzard!