Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

12/1/09

Sausage, Chickpea & Carrot Stew

Hi, everyone!

Can you believe it's already December? Where did the fall go? As many of you are probably getting extra busy with the holidays around the corner, I thought I'd share this ridiculously easy and versatile "recipe" with you.

How did this recipe come about? A few weeks ago I wasn't in the best of moods, and did not feel like cooking. After contemplating going across the street and buying a Subway sandwich, I decided to be good and just cook with the ingredients I had in my refrigerator.

Sausage, Chickpea & Carrot Stew

Ingredients
1 pound Italian sausage, taken out of its casing
4 carrots, peeled and shredded
1 can chickpeas, rinsed
2 cans cubed tomatoes
salt & pepper to taste
dill for garnish

Directions
1. Heat a non-stick pan. Add sausage and brown.
2. Add carrots and cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Add chickpeas and tomatoes (with their juices) and cook till everything is hot. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Serve garnished with chopped dill.


And now for variations: you can serve this dish on its own, or on top of rice. I think it would even be good on top of a baked potato. You can also add other vegetables: green peppers, zucchini, etc.

This is great for leftovers. This dish gets much of its flavor from the Italian sausage, which means you don't have to add a ton of spices: saves you time and money!

Stay tuned for a few posts about the food I had during my week-long stay in Puerto Rico.

Chickpea on Foodista

11 comments:

chow and chatter said...

fantastic stew love it will tweet it Rebecca

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

Comfort food for those busy days that you want something easy and delicious :)

Enjoy at Puerto Rico!

Cheers,

Gera

Veggie Belly said...

i love how simple this dish is, yet filling and comforting!

Unknown said...

Yeah, i know, it was sooooo cold last night here in the UK! I used 3 blankets. I could have used some of this yummy stew :)

Jhonny walker said...

god..this stew warms me up ..just by looking at it. Also I left an award at my place ( i belive a couple of posts ago). Please pick it up, if you want! I do enjoy your lovely recipes!

Dewi said...

Looks very pretty OLga. Love this sausages dress in red.

Jhonny walker said...

okay..here is the link to the award :)
http://food-thought-for.blogspot.com/2009/11/another-fabulous-award-fishy_24.html#comments

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! Looking forward to hearing all about your trip!

Chef Fresco said...

Tasty looking stew! I like the dill on top :) Also love your new header!

Sophia said...

I love this! Oh sausage anything is good, but paired with chickpeas! That's interesting, because usually ppl use chickpeas as a meat substitute...this has both! Great source of protein!

pigpigscorner said...

This looks so good, love thick thick stews like this.