Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

1/14/10

Daring Cooks: Tofu Satay

The January 2010 DC challenge was hosted by Cuppy of Cuppylicious and she chose a delicious Thai-inspired recipe for Pork Satay from the book 1000 Recipes by Martha Day.

I was excited about this challenge because it looked simple enough, and yet involved doing things that I normally would not think of :) I decided to go with tofu instead of pork or chicken or beef.

Satay Marinade
1/2 small onion
2 garlic cloves
2 cm piece of ginger
2 T lemon juice
1 T soy sauce
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground turmeric

Directions
1. Puree all ingredients in the food processor (how easy is that?).
2. Marinade cubed tofu covered for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
3. Saute the tofu on all sides till golden brown (I used avocado oil).



Peanut Sauce
3/4 cup coconut milk (6 oz or 180 mls)
4 Tbsp peanut butter (2 oz or 60 mls)
1 Tbsp lemon juice (0.5 oz or 15 mls)
1 Tbsp soy sauce (0.5 oz or 15 mls)1 tsp brown sugar (5 mls)
1/2 tsp ground cumin (2.5 mls)
1/2 tsp ground coriander (2.5 mls)
1-2 dried red chilies, chopped (keep the seeds for heat) {I used a pinch of cayenne instead}

1. Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl. Add soy sauce and lemon, mix well.
2. Over low heat, combine coconut milk, peanut butter and your soy-lemon-seasoning mix. Mix well, stir often.

3. All you’re doing is melting the peanut butter, so make your peanut sauce after you’ve made everything else in your meal, or make ahead of time and reheat.



I was pretty happy with how this dish turned out. I'm not used to a warm peanut sauce, so next time I'd go with the cold one, but overall, it was good. I had leftover tofu for breakfast the next day: not the best idea at work --> too garlicky :)

27 comments:

Wic said...

love the presentation, it looks delicious.

Audax said...

What wonderful and delightful looking photos are took they are so professinal and the tofu looks so delicious. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

♥peachkins♥ said...

wow!I never thought of tofu satay...hmmnnn..

Dacia said...

Oh, that looks so delicious! I love tofu satay, but I've never made it. I'll have to give it a shot!

Dewi said...

Hmmm, that look delicious Olga. Never made tofu sate before.

LittleRed said...

That does look good! I may even have to try it with tofu....I bet it was good.

Delicious Dishings said...

That looks really interesting! I'm not really big on tofu, but yours looks like it might actually be a little crispy, which would be a good thing! Love your pictures.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks wonderful. Don't you love the peanut sauce?

lisaiscooking said...

Such great flavors in the marinade and sauce. And, it sounds fantastic with tofu!

Joanne said...

I saw the pork version over at Natashya's but I have to say that tofu looks especially delicious. True, not the best idea for breakfast though!

Esi said...

Yum, I like the sound of tofu satay although I don't think I've had it before. Your serving dishes are so cute!

pigpigscorner said...

Great idea using tofu! lovely presentation.

Frenchie said...

Your tofu cubes look so perfect, I love tofu and it is a great backdrop for any marinade because it really absorbs flavors so well. Looks like you had a delicious meal.

Jenny said...

I wanna try this with tofu (made the chicken version), yours looks so good! Lovely photos! Great job on the challenge :)

cuppy said...

What pretty little cubes! :D They look like they came out perfect!!!!

And while your dishes are nice, I've got chopstick envy. Those are a beautiful finish.

Simones Kitchen said...

You're not used to peanut sauce being warm? Really? Do you eat it cold? I mean; it tastes good warm or cold, but we never have it cold... Funny how that works..:))
Love your tofu satay! Tom is not a big fan of tofu, so I tend to stay with the chicken or beef versions..

Lauren said...

Gorgeous photos Olga! Your satay looks simply delicious =D.

Dips said...

Awesome satay !! The photos and presentation both are lovely

Sasha said...

I'm not a fan of tofu but that marinade might change my mind. Great pics!

Tia said...

ooh, it looks fab!

Jo said...

Great job and you're making a believer out of me that tofu satay is delicious. Love the pics and presentation.

mary said...

Your photos look great. Hope you are having fun with your new camera.

Catherine said...

I haven't thought about making satay since I stopped eating meat, but that looks GREAT and I'm excited to try it!

Anonymous said...

Avocado oil? Yum!

Your tofu looks great -- congrats!

Sasha said...

I have an award on my blog for you : )

chef_d said...

beautiful pictures, i think next time i will try tofu satay :)

DeniseinVA said...

This sounds wonderful and I'm definitely going to get the ingredients next time I go shopping.