Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

1/22/10

Grilled calamari salad with oranges and black beans

After dinner at Kellari, I had quite a few grilled calamari left. My personal trainer told me I'm not allowed to have carbs after 6 pm, so I made the following salad a few nights ago for dinner.

There are no exact measurements (as is very typical when I cook).


Ingredients
grilled calamari
lettuce mix
black canned beans, drained, rinsed
red onions, thinly sliced
segmented orange (see how to video here)
olive oil
salt & pepper


Directions
1. In a bowl combine all ingredients. Mix. Enjoy.

Other variations: if you happen to have leftover grilled calamari, you can also make a salad from it with tomatoes, cucumbers, corn and feta--a more of Greek feel.

18 comments:

♥peachkins♥ said...

Your salads are one of a kind! Never thought of putting squid in my salad..

Cindy said...

Looks tasty! Technically, beans are sometimes considered carbs though.

Dewi said...

Love this fried calamari in salad. Delicious!

Delicious Dishings said...

I can't believe you can stop eating carbs at 6! Good for you! At least this salad looks tasty enough to keep you from missing them. I really don't think I could do it. I could see myself now, with a big bowl of pasta, stuffing my face when I get home at 5:30 until 6... just so I could get my carb fix before then!

Hungry Dog said...

Sounds delicious and healthy! I have to say, I would never think to pair calamari with black beans and oranges, but why not? Your picture is enough to sell me on it!

Justin said...

ooh, i don't have patience to prepare the oranges that way, but they do look pretty

Anonymous said...

Oranges are a nice addition! No carbs after 6 must be tough!

VegeCooking Club said...

I must say I do like eating calamari but when it comes to buying it I can't seem to get myself to do it! This is very pretty!

Maria said...

Gorgeous salad!

Angie's Recipes said...

A very easy yet yummy salad.

Jhonny walker said...

This is mouth watering. What a great picture too :)

Esi said...

Ooh, looks so good! I love calamari and it's always inexpensive at the farmers market.

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

No exact measurements...mm I can't repeat it! Adore the mix of colors and texture :)

Have a great weekend,

Gera

pigpigscorner said...

Squid is so versatile! Looks great.

Erica said...

Love the pictures! That is a healthy and delicious salad!

Lauren said...

I love calamari but am hesitant to make it at home because i worry it will get tough and rubbery. Any tips on how to cook with it the right way?

Simones Kitchen said...

That is a lovely looking salad Olga. I am always a little hesitant when not adding any carbs at all into the salad as I just know I will get so hungry later in the evening! Was that ok for you with this salad?

The Duo Dishes said...

Calamari makes a really nice salad. Always beautiful and it's great grilled. Citrus is always nice!