Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

1/28/10

Lunch at Sticky Rice

I feel like lately I've been eating out quite a bit. Not sure if the Restaurant Week is to blame, or the fact that I've been doing freelance cooking and photography for Robyn Webb, leaving less time for me to come up with my own recipes (other perks are awesome though!!!). Regardless, here's another mini review of my lunch at Sticky Rice with Stephanie.

Stephanie and I signed up to take a 4 week intro to digital photography class, and this past Saturday we had a field trip around Union Station. Being huge fans of food, we decided to head out for lunch right after the class. Unfortunately, the place we were planning on checking out, Toscana Cafe, was closed for lunch. We stopped by at a nearby coffee cafe and asked for recommendations. We were told to check out Sticky Rice. I've heard of this place multiple times, and so Stephanie and I headed out to find this restaurant.

Thankfully, the day was sunny and warm and we happily chatted as we walked. A word of caution: I must admit that the neighborhood surrounding Sticky Rice is somewhat sketchy. It's on its way to being hip and popular, but it's not quite there yet. I was definitely happy we were walking there together and during a day light.

Once we found Sticky Rice, we were told there'd be a 25 minute wait. Both of us had a look of surprise on our faces as we clearly could see at least 3 empty booths. Turns out, they only serve food upstairs on Saturdays. Ok, we decided to wait.

Once upstairs, I absolutely LOVED the decor, and was happy to have my Canon Rebel with me so that I could snap a "few" photos.








I find these paintings fascinating! Can you imagine tattooing something like that on your back? I must admit I've been fascinated with tattoos for a long time. But I dislike making decisions and dislike pain-->making getting a tattoo rather difficult.

Ok, let's talk about food now. By the time we were seated, we were both starving. The menu was quite versatile: anything from tuna rolls (the most out-of-the-box combinations) to grits with shrimp. And yet, I decided on a combination of tater tots (haven't had those in ages), eggs, bacon, cheese, scallions and red onions. OMG this was so good! I could have easily taken 1/2 of the portion home, but I was a trooper and finished everything on my plate :)

Stephanie chose a few items from the sushi menu. The presentation was spectacular, and the one I tasted, Sticky balls (tuna, crab, siracha rice in an inari pocket deep fried and topped with scallions, wasabi dressing and eel sauce) was very impressive. I really liked the combination of different textures, flavors and colors.

I really enjoyed brunch at Sticky Rice. Great service, atmosphere and food. If you go, make sure to schedule some time for a nap afterwards.

This Saturday is my last photo class with Stephanie. Luckily, this is not the end of our eating adventures!

Oh, and on the way back from the restaurant I found gorgeous purple Italian yarn. A great day!

12 comments:

Jenna said...

My immediate thought was "I want some of those sticky balls." And then I realized what that actually sounds like . . . Eewwww.

Seriously digging the photos with your new camera!

Dewi said...

Yummy!
The name it self says it all.

Shaw Girl said...

Your pictures are GORGEOUS! And I certainly hope this won't be the end of our eating adventures!

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

Omg I wish I lived near hear so I could enjoy this amazing food. At tater tots I was drooling, by the time I got to Sticky Balls I was in awww! How lucky you are! Looks like a fantastic lunch.

Quinn said...

I have been wanting to try Sticky Rice for so long! If you ever get a hankering to go back, just let me know :)

Anonymous said...

I like the sushi at Sticky Rice, quite a few original options and delicious tater tots! I also love their sake flights. Excellent selection. Great pictures! I haven't quite mastered my rebel yet ;-)

Justin Moore-Brown said...

GAHH! i LOVE tots! Thanks for the great review and awesome photos.

I'll definitely be hitting them up later and they can thank you for it!

Simones Kitchen said...

Love the photos Olga! And that does sound like a seriously good lunch!

Brandi Gurtz said...

I love this place! I go there a lot and you are right it is very affordable!

♥peachkins♥ said...

Great Shot, Olga.It looks like a really great place!

pigpigscorner said...

Love the decor of the place! The food looks good too.

Sasha said...

What a great-looking place! And the food looks fantastic too. Great photos.

Sounds like DC is packed with great restaurants.