Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

2/28/10

Black & White Chili with Savory Whipped Cream

Last week I was at the store and saw stewed meat on sale: I decided to make chili. Originally, I planned to use black beans, but only had one can of black beans at home: that would not have been enough. Luckily, I had a can of garbanzo beans; thus, Black & White Chili. And what about the savory whipped cream? Continue reading to find out.

Ingredients
olive oil
1 pound Angus beef stew meat
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1 onion, chopped
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
3 dry chiles
15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained
15 ounce can black beans, drained
28 ounces can diced tomatoes with juices

Directions
1. Heat oil and brown stew meat on all sides.



2. Add garlic and onion and cook for about 10 minutes. 
3. Add spices and chiles and cook for 2 more minutes.
4. Add beans and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, cover, lower the heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes.

5. And now to the Savory Whipped Cream...you see, I was out of sour cream, but I had heavy whipping cream leftover from making tiramisu. So I whipped together 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream with a pinch of cayenne and seasoned with salt and pepper.


Serve this Black & White Chili with green onions, savory whipped cream (or sour cream), and anything else you have on hand: salsa, avocado, cheese, etc, etc.

This dish is great for leftovers: trust me: I ate them for 3 more days :)

And now for a slightly controversial question: do you put beans in your chili? And if yes, what kind? And if not, why not? And what are your favorite toppings for chili?

15 comments:

Lauren said...

this looks great! I love beans in my chili - I usually use black and kidney

The Nervous Cook said...

Savory whipped cream?! Genius!

Cate said...

I always make meatless chile, but I love the black and white idea...and I NEVER would have thought of savory whipped cream!

BlueToYou said...

this is a totally smart idea, and looks absolutely delicious! who would have thought to make savory whipping cream! :-D

Anonymous said...

A very neat chili! I love the idea of savory whipped cream!

Unknown said...

Savoury whipped cream sounds positively inspired daaaaahling. Yes, i do like beans in chilli, kidney beans.
*kisses* HH

Joie de vivre said...

You are so creative! I find the best dishes are born out of necessity. I do put beans in my chili. I like to top it with a little sour cream or perhaps some shredded cheddar cheese, but mostly, I just like it plain.

Simones Kitchen said...

This looks delicious Olga... But... where did you header go? Or is it just me that is missing something?

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love chili for chip dipping...

Al said...

I add all kinds of beans - kidney, black, cannellini...but The BF really hates beans. Making chili sans beans seems just plain old WRONG to me!! lol

Lo said...

Beans always make an appearance in our chili. Love them.

The savory whipped cream is a great idea. Wish I would have thought of that for my tomato soup the other night! Basil balsamic whipped cream would have been stellar.

Juliana said...

Great looking chili! Love the special touch of savory whipped cream...yummie!

Teri @ Make A Whisk said...

The chili looks good, but I'm most impressed by the savory whipped cream. I've never heard of such a thing, but what a good idea!

Leslie said...

Ohh I am totally digging this whipped cream! yum

Chef Fresco said...

Very hearty chili! I've never had whipped cream on chili before- looks tasty!