Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

2/27/10

Daring Bakers: PAMA & POM Tiramisu

The February 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen and Deeba of Passionate About Baking. They chose Tiramisu as the challenge for the month. Their challenge recipe is based on recipes from The Washington Post, Cordon Bleu at Home and Baking Obsession.

This is my first Daring Bakers challenge since November! I was excited about making tiramisu. It's not my favorite dessert, but I felt challenged enough to make every single component, yet not panicked enough to give up.

Here are the lady fingers: they were relatively simple to make (if you want a recipe, email me, and I'll be happy to forward it to you).


Instead of using coffee, I decided to use a combination of POM (pomegranate juice) and PAMA (pomegranate liquor). This gave tiramisu a nice fruity flavor and a pretty pink color.

I must make a confession: I cheated (oh no!) and bought the mascarpone cheese instead of making it from scratch. I just did not have the time.

Overall, the challenge was lengthy, but the results were delicious. I have some of the cake in the freezer for one of those days when I really need something sweet.

And just one more photo (because I never know which one Tastespotting and Foodgawker might like lol).

I brought a slice of tiramisu to Oscar, my personal trainer, and he gave me 9/10 :)

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful job daaaaaahling.
I joined daring bakers and hopefully will get to start with March's challenge.
Nervous about it but excited :)
*kisses* HH

Simones Kitchen said...

You should still try and make the mascarpone if you have time at some point... Not that the storebought variety is not good (it is) but I was so amazed at how good the mascarpone looked that I start to like it more every day. I still have some left and use it in just about everything..
I love your idea of adding the pom to it as I am thinking of making a fruity version of tiramisu (using my own recipe) soon too!

Anonymous said...

The tiramisu looks really yummy. And I love the idea with the pomegranate juice - delicious.

Dewi said...

Perfect Lady fingers! I am sure POM give this tiramisu a bit of tanginess. I like that!

LittleRed said...

I like the sound of the fruity flavourings. And it looks delicous. LOVE the little green dish too:)

Sasha said...

Ooh, nice job, Olga! Kudos on making your own ladyfingers : )

♥peachkins♥ said...

Tiramisu with POM! That must taste really good..

Lauren said...

As I said earlier, its gorgeous! I love the colour you got from the pomegranate drinks =D.

Natalie said...

Interesting choice of flavoring :)
Making the mascarpone is probably the easiest part of the whole recipe.. not more than 15 minutes of active time.

Lot-O-Choc said...

Mmmm your tiramisu looks so good!! Well done, yumm!

Anonymous said...

Great idea to flavor with Pom & PAMA, lovely tiramisu!

Esi said...

I love this pom version. Do the mascarpone at some point. It's so easy and sooooooo good!

BlueToYou said...

this looks FANTASTIC!!! what a neat idea to add POM.

Delicious Dishings said...

Looks sooo good! I skipped this challenge, but after seeing this picture, I really need to make some tiramisu very soon!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Tiramisu!!!! (And I would probably buy mascarpone too!)

Laura said...

What an interesting flavor choice--I bet it tastes fabulous. Your savoiardi look absolutely perfect. Nice job . . .

And you should really try making the mascarpone because it turns out to be so amazingly easy and good (even with ultrapasteurized cream).