Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

2/2/10

White bean, chipotle pepper & basil dip

I'm sure many of you will be watching Super Bowl this Sunday. That's not my thing at all, but I thought I'd share a recipe I invented for a dip that would be a great addition to your Super Bowl viewing party.

It all started with a can of Northwestern beans, a can of Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce and basil that had to be used, or would wilt. I decided to make White Bean, Chipotle Pepper & Basil Dip.

Ingredients

15.5 ounce Northwestern beans can, drained, rinsed

1 garlic clove, smashed

hand-full basil leaves

1 Chipotle pepper in Adobo sauce ***

salt & pepper to taste

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon water

4 ounces sour cream ***

Directions

1. Puree all ingredients in a food processor.

2. Adjust for salt & pepper.

3. Serve with crackers and vegetables.

*** I must confess that I sort of messed up this recipe. Instead of adding 1 Chipotle pepper (like I state in the ingredients list), I added 3. OMG was that spicy! That was the reason for adding sour cream--to try and make the heat slightly milder. It worked a little bit, but my dip is still very spicy. Oh well, you cook and you learn, right?

So when you will make this recipe, and I hope you will because it's really good, use just one Chipotle pepper. This dip can also be used as a spread on sandwiches. I think it'll also be good mixed into hot pasta or even as a "dressing" for potato salad.

Question: other than adding more white beans, how can I lower the heat level of this dip?

13 comments:

Lea Ann said...

OLGA!!! This looks and sounds really good. I'll be serving this to my crowd on Sunday. And yes, I've done that too, those peppers are HOT.

Jenna said...

Mm, that looks good (I shouldn't read your blog before breakfast). But 3 peppers would definitely be too spicy for me! I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to spice.

lisa is cooking said...

I love white bean dip, and the chipotle in this one sounds fantastic!

Hungry Dog said...

Nice idea. I often do just a straight up cannellini bean puree with lemon and rosemary--this is a good twist! For the record, I don't watch the SuperBowl either!

pigpigscorner said...

Love spicy dips!

Eva said...

I'd love to make this but I'm not sure what a northwestern bean is! Is this similar to cannellini/great northern beans?

Sasha said...

What a great idea!
I should start making more dips - they're so versatile.

Leslie said...

Spicy is good!
I only watch the game for the commercials!

Unknown said...

The combo of chipotle and basil sounds so interesting-- as for the game, I only watch football for the food.

Anonymous said...

Three chipotle peppers sound just about right for my husband :)

Unknown said...

Fabulous, great ingredients, I know I'd really like this one.
*kisses* HH

Simones Kitchen said...

O haha, I can just imagine your face when you took a bite and discovered you had used three peppers instead of just the one! It does look gorgeous though despite the little mistake... :)

Juliana said...

Yummie, this dip with white bean looks so delicious, like the idea of adding basil...nice pictures as well :-)