Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

3/24/10

Russian Cabbage Crescent Rolls

I'm not sure why, but for some reason last weekend I was reminiscing about some of the dishes my mom used to make in Russia. For example, for breakfast I made polenta with feta she used to make on Sundays, but also added sundried tomatoes and green onions: such a comfort-y dish! Unfortunately, the photographs came out rather unappetizing, so there will be no post.

Then, I remembered cabbage stuffed pierogi she used to make when we lived in Moscow. She still makes them in Seattle from time to time, but uses store-bough biscuit dough instead. I decided to recreate the recipe from memory and of course add a few of my personal touches!

Russian Cabbage Crescent Rolls

Ingredients
3 bacon strips, chopped
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 head cabbage, thinly sliced
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
3 scallions, thinly sliced
salt & pepper
3 containers of refrigerated crescent roll dough (they come in count of 8)

Directions
1. In a large skillet cook bacon for 2-3 minutes. Add the onions and saute until the onions are brown.
2. Add cabbage, season with salt and pepper, cover and cook until cabbage has wilted.
3. Let the mixture cool, season with salt and pepper. Add hardboiled eggs and green onions.




4. Preheat the oven to 375.
5. Carefully open each package of crescent rolls, unroll the dough and put a tablespoon of filling on top of the wide part of the triangle. Carefully pinching the sides, roll the crescent rolls.
6. Bake the rolls for 15 minutes.



And here they are straight out of the oven! They smelled and looked great.


I was really happy with how the recipe turned out. In case you have some leftover filling, eat it as a side dish. It's best to serve these crescent rolls immediately!

What are some of your favorite childhood dishes you still make today?

19 comments:

Delicious Dishings said...

Olga, those look fantastic. I'm sure I would love that filling - cabbage and bacon! Hmm, what do I still make... things like chicken and eggplant parm, for sure.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment on my new blog daaaaaahling, I am so excited that my site is back!
These rolls look delicious. Beautiful job.
*kisses* HH

Esi said...

Bacon and cabbage and egg, yes please. I wonder how they would turn out with puff pastry...

jenna said...

I love anything that's wrapped in biscuit dough. Looks delicious!

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

What a delicious savory rolls...I want several of them for dinner. Any leftovers? ;)

Have a great week,

Gera

The Duo Dishes said...

Thanks for the Twitter sneak peek of this one. The best thing is you cam use any pastry to fill with that mixture. It's going to taste good no matter what!

grace said...

it seems like i rarely hear anything about russian cuisine. i like this dish quite a bit, so maybe it's time i make more of an effort to find some authentic russian foods!

The Cooking Photographer said...

Ooo these look great!

Sasha said...

What an awesome idea, Olga. My mom would love these.

Simones Kitchen said...

How great does that look Olga! And what a fun idea too to recreate dishes from your past

aurorafedora said...

hmmm, very interesting, i will have to try these! thanks!

Anonymous said...

My mom also makes pirozhki with the biscuit dough but she will love this idea as she loves crescent rolls now and she's been making them with sweet ricotta & raisin filling.

Jen said...

Thank you for going back to the full feed! I love your recipes and while it is shamefully lazy, I appreciate not having to click over from google reader to get the full thing now. I'll try to comment more often so you know I appreciate you!

tiffany @ the garden apartment said...

Those look amazing. I think I will be trying this recipe very soon-- love the cabbage stuffed pierogi. I practically grew up on potato stuffed pierogis.
One of my favorite foods to make- as a comfort food from childhood- is cabbage rolls. Similar to yours, except the cabbage is on the outside and stuffed with ground beef and tomatoes. Yum.

Anonymous said...

This is lovely! I would love to give this a try. And it is pretty easy to make. Thanks for sharing.
dining room tables

Becca said...

stumbled onto your blog! Love your recipes, this one is amazing! loved it!

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

Hi, Becky! I'm so glad to hear this. Did you actually make this?

Kreshon said...

Just tried these the other day, great recipe.
My wife commented that they reminded her of Russia ;)

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

I'm so happy to hear you made my recipe and your wife liked it!!!! Thank you so much for letting me know.