Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

3/4/09

Radha's Indian Potato Soup

This post is a bit overdue, but better later than never, right?

Remember my friend Radha, who is from India? I was chatting with her a few weeks ago as she was asking me for ideas for dinner. I recommended my tilapia sandwich, and she loved it (and actually made it twice). In return, she gave me a recipe for her mom's Indian Potato Soup.

Ingredients
1-2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed (not too small)
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1-2 green chili peppers, slit down the middle (somehow I came home and the green chili I bought wasn't in my bag! So I used a red one I already had at home)
1 inch ginger, peeled and made into a paste (I just microplane-d mine)
coconut milk to taste
1 cup frozen peas (optional)

Directions
1. Put potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Season with salt and cook until potatoes are half-way tender.
2. Add ginger, onions and chili pepper(s). If you are using frozen peas, add those after another 5 minutes.
3. Once the potatoes are completely cooked through (some might even fall apart), add coconut milk one tablespoon at a time until you reach the creaminess you like. Make sure to check for saltiness: the salt really brings out the flavors!




Radha recommends eating this soup with white bread or dosas (Indian bread), but I ate it as is because had finished my French baguette a day before :)

This was a very simple recipe to make, yet very comforting. This was definitely quite spicy, so I see how the bread would have helped.

What's your favorite potato based soup?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that the Indian soup you were eating the other day for lunch? It looks really good - I would love it with the Naan bread I get from Wegmans.

Deeba PAB said...

That looks great to me Olga. Have never had potato soup!!

Dewi said...

Sounds delicious Olga, I didn't know Indian have this kind of soup.
Cheers,
elra

Unknown said...

Wow! This sounds really good! My favorite potato soup is this one I used to get at Benegins all the time. It was really creamy and had lots of bacon, chives and cheese. It was great!

Anonymous said...

My housemate comes from an Indian family, so I can vouch for the fact that most things Indian are good for the soul.

Great job.

Chef Fresco said...

Looks great Olga! I could use some nice hot soup about now. . .

BlueToYou said...

oo that looks really good :)

Anonymous said...

Olga,

These are great photos - I think your photography has gone from good to great! Can I make a suggestion...the background yellowish color of your blog is a distraction for your photos. Why not use a white background. Just my two cents :)

gaga said...

I love potato soup and Indian food, so this sounds perfect!