Back to Home About Mango & Tomato Contact MePublicity & News Hire Me!Portfolio

3/12/09

Roasted Peppers

I absolutely love roasted peppers! I use them to make sandwiches, add them to hummus, and like them on top of my pizza.

Obviously, it is very easy to simply pick up a jar of roasted peppers at the grocery store (especially since red and yellow peppers can cost around $3 each), but the process of making your own roasted peppers is actually quite fun!

I was testing a recipe using roasted peppers for Robyn Webb's upcoming vegan cookbook over the weekend and decided to take a few photos of the process.

1) Wash and dry peppers. It's best to use red, orange or yellow ones.
2) Put the peppers directly on top of your gas stove so that the flame hits them.
3) Using a pair of long tongues rotate the peppers once a side of them gets black.
4) Once the entire surface of the peppers is black, take the peppers off the flame and put them in a glass bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
5) Let the peppers sit in the bowl for about 10 minutes. The created steam will make it easier for you to remove the skin.
6) Let the peppers cool for an additional 10 minutes (more/less depending on how much heat your hands can handle) and rub off the black skin. You might be tempted to rinse the peppers under the water, but that would remove the smoky flavor, so please don't :)

7. Cut off the top, remove the seeds, and you are ready to add these sweet things to your next recipe.


Additional ideas for using roasted peppers: salads, sandwiches, pureed soups, antipasti plates, bruschetta.

Enjoy!

14 comments:

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

Nothing better than roasted peppers!!! Looks great

The Purple Carrot said...

Yum, I absolutely LOVE roasted peppers!!

Anonymous said...

Love roasted peppers - I like to roast three different colors peppers and make a pepper tricolor salad.

Unknown said...

Those look great! If I tried to put something directly on the burner it would probably catch in fire...but that's just me. :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That's something delicious! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Freshly roasted is oh so good.

Sara said...

I love roasted peppers, I usually put them under the broiler. They freeze really well too.

Anonymous said...

I love roasted peppers. Check out my roasted red pepper sauce on my recipe page. It's great with pasta, or noodles or anything for that matter.

Fahrenheit 350° said...

Yah! I'm a follower! Growing up our menus were pretty bland, and branching out recently always seems to include peppers of some sort!

Leslie said...

mmm.I just started roastingmy own peppers. thank goodness for my gas stove!

Sharon said...

Yum! I love red peppers but always find myself asking, why do they cost so darn much?!

Peter M said...

Nicely done...I've been enjoying roasted peppers since a child. On the grill they are even better!

If I do a larger batch, I'll freeze them in zip-lock bags with skins still on (protect from freezer burn).

Unknown said...

really makes me sad that i don't have a gas stove!

gaga said...

I love roasted peppers too. There are so many uses for it!